Topic

Cotton Wool/Vaseline Firestarters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cotton Wool/Vaseline Firestarters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Locale: Guernsey

Been making these today and mine are burning a lot longer than they are supposed to. I was genuinly amazed.

I melted 1 teaspoon per cotton wool bit and it burned a solid flame for 11 minutes in my bushbuddy!!!! I thought it was only supposed to burn for2-3 minutes. Are you all putting less in?

One relevant bit of information might be that this was sitting on a large bed of dry ash, therefore there was potentially less air coming up making it burn less intensly and therefore more slowly? However even this was mitigated by the strongish wind (didnt have windsheild up).

Thoughts?

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Paul,

I think you answered your own question. If your "tinder" burned for 11 minutes, a teaspoon is too much.

I don't use Vaseline. I use charcoal lighter, and I find about 1/8 teaspoon (ten drops) applied to a small roll of fiberglass in the bottom of my stove reliably starts dry 1/8" diameter twigs. About 3/16 teaspoon will start them even if they're wet.

I'll bet you'll get the same results with similar quantities of Vaseline

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools