Topic

Coming Soon – Backpacking Light Coverage of the Summer 2009 Outdoor Retailer Show (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2009)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Coming Soon – Backpacking Light Coverage of the Summer 2009 Outdoor Retailer Show (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2009)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    cameron eibl

@cjeibl

Locale: San Diego

If you have time I would appreciate it if you could check out C.A.M.P. USA's booth.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Photos and lots of them please :)

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

If someone (as me) can´t wait

Here you can find some (very good) info

http://lighthiker.wordpress.com/

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow…how is the new Vaude Scutum Ultralight so light? A doublewall, 2 person tent with aluminum poles and a 10,000mm floor for just 37oz??? Unreal….how did they save all that weight.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

As usual, the primary ways of dropping weight are to use less fabric and/or user lighter fabric.

In this case they've used 20D fabric instead of 30D fabric, and less of it too. Single door, one vestibule. No doubt the usable space is quite limited inside.

Will be interesting to see some detailed reports from BPL on just how much space there is inside. It's nice to see some more double skin light weight tents.

[EDITED typo… I meant quite limited, not quite a bit!]

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I keep seeing comments about the spacious inside of the Scutum, but if I read the floor chart correctly it looks that in the middle (irregular floor shape) is as narrow as the MSR CR2 (40") or even an inch or so narrower. For a double wall shelter 1 kg is very impressive for even a single but it does not look that much like a standard double to me.
    Franco

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Both the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 and the Scutum use 20D fabrics, have a 10,000mm floor, single door and minimal interior room. I guess the Vaude does only have one vestibule, but the Carbon Reflex uses Carbon Fibre poles, so it's impressive the Scutum comes in so much lighter. It'll be interesting to see if it weighs as little as claimed. The Scutum is almost a pound lighter….

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

If it is using the same fabric weight, then there are only two places to really save weight. Firstly, use less fabric. This usually means the tent is less roomy (no surprise there). Secondly, use shorter poles. Clearly they're only using one pole here so are saving weight there. But I suspect that only accounts for half a pound at most (compared to the Reflex CF poles). The rest probably comes from less fabric / smaller dimensions.

One other possibility is that the inner fabric is lighter than noseeum mesh, but I doubt it.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

While we still waiting for backpackinlight coverage here we can find some advances to 2010 products

Here there is some updates about the European OutDoor trade show including news about petzl (headlamps) scarpa, osprey gregory an podsacs

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/

And a new update about packs here

http://lighthiker.wordpress.com/

;-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools