Topic

MYOG (Modify Your Own Gear): 15* Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG (Modify Your Own Gear): 15* Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have been working to switch all my sleep systems to quilts. I have purchased both a nunatak arc Ghost and MLD Spirit quilt for warmer weather trips but still needed a lower rated quilt for use in the 15* – 20* range.

I had hoped to sell a NWT WM Apache GWS and use the funds toward a nunatak arc Alpinist but found little to no interest. I decided to work with Tim M. to convert the Apache to a 15* quilt and here is the end result.

I had Tim remove the WM Apaches hood,zipper and draft stops.

Apache Quilt - Top

Apache Quilt - Top (2)

I had Tim provide a 14" footbox using three snaps and provide two mid point straps/cords.

Quilt Underside

Quilt Underside (2)

The end result weighs 1 lb 10 oz on my scale with which I'm very pleased.

Quilt Top - Closed

Quilt Underside - Closed

Tim did a very nice job and was great to deal with.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Thom,

What's the weight savings? Why not just use the bag unzipped when you want a quilt?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Accoding to specs it saved around 12 ounces.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Casey/Chris,
    I felt the weight savings were worth the modification, others may not. With making the conversion from bag to quilt I went from 38oz to 26oz for, as Chris stated, a savings of 12 oz, or nearly a third of the bags original weight.

A nunatak 20* arc Alpinist in epic (closest to the GWS shell) is speced at 23oz and has 2.5" baffles. My Apache quilt, at 26oz, is equal in quality of workmanship and materials and warmer having 3" baffles and more fill.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Thom,
    Looks awesome, and 26 oz is a sweet weight. Tim rocks…

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

Can we see a before pic? Was it a mummy before? Looks like a good job I've been contemplating doing this to an older bag of mine. As for the zipper question above, I find the zipper annoying when it's against my legs and it often comes unzipped further than I'd like so to just do away with seems like a good choice.

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

Sorry I just read where it said you'd removed the hood

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I do not have before pictures but you can see the Apache GWS on the WM site. When looking at a before picture (on the WM site) it is not difficult to see how the weight savings are achieved. Removal of the hood, zipper, zipper guards and the draft stops all add up.

The Apache was a perfect bag for a conversion with it having a narrow, trim fitting, cut. I know Tim has converted a Marmot Helium (older black version) for a BPL member, based upon my suggestion, and this member was also very pleased with the result.

Warning: This type of conversion is not for everyone but for those wanting to switch to a quilt and that already own a nice quality bag I believe this is a viable option worth consideration.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools