Topic

Mont-bell stretch gaiter mod.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mont-bell stretch gaiter mod.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

I heard about the durability problems people have been having with the under foot strap on most gaiters. Other companies solved this problem by using Velcro on the heel of their gaiter but the fabrics they used were less durable and weather resistant. I decided to buy the Mont-bell stretch gaiter that uses the Schoeller breathable DWR fabric and add some velcro to it.

I bought them in a size large so they would stretch down to the heel. This was a good move since the fabric only stretches so much. I left the grommets on so I could use the straps on some mid height inov8s for snowshoeing since they probably won't be able to stretch down to the heel on a mid. Theres enough stretch in the ankle to pull over my pants too.

I used loctite flexible glue and nylon sutures to hold the Velcro patch on. Shouldn't have any problems with it coming off.

Another reason why a Velcro gaiter works so well is that thy dont ride up in the back. The inov8 280 has a really short heel cup so I figured I would have problems with the strap only gaiter riding up like in the BPL review

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I like the look of those gaiters, too.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I was just about to try the same mod on my Inov8 gaiters. No sewing machine though so it'll be my best attempt at hand sewing!

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

Thanks. Should be an easy project to sew by hand. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools