Topic

Marmot I.D

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

I came across this Marmot on a hike to Mt. St. Helens. Specificaly, we were in the plains of Abraham. It was HUGE and had to weigh at least 20-25lbs. Can anyone help me identify it?
    marmot

marmot

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Funny….that looks a LOT like an Olympic Marmot. They get HUGE in the Olympics. I saw one once bigger than a Bobcat….

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

As best I can tell from the photo, that is a Hoary Marmot, the marmot common to the Olympics. The only other possibility in that part of the world would be the Yellow-bellied Marmot; the one in your photo appears to have a gray belly.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Thanks for the help. I'm still amazed at the size of it. The coat is interesting also, it seems longer then a normal Marmots, it appeared more like a thick bear coat. It's good to see wildlife coming back to St. Helens.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools