Topic

Gallatin Crest trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Gallatin Crest trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

This past Saturday I completed the Devil's Backbone 50 mile ultramarathon, which is a big out and back from Hyalite Creek on the Gallatin Crest. Hiking (I gave up running last year) 50 miles in a day is not what I want to discuss here.

What I want to talk about is the crest trail, which was totally brilliant. Nice, faintish trail, challenging walking, and otherworldy views in all directions. There isn't a ton of water up there, but it would be a primo desination for a day hike or backpack (and would have some reediculous spring skiing).

Here are some topo maps from the race site: http://www.math.montana.edu/~thayes/Runs/Devil/DevilMap.html

I put together a goofy little video of the race: http://vimeo.com/5571872

Them BPL people have a pretty nice backyard!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

That trail is so excellent that I hiked it twice last summer!

Excellent quote from the movie, "Here's all the stupid people standing around in the cold at the start…" Ha!

I was up hiking the beginning of this route yesterday afternoon and there was still significant snow up on the side of Hyalite Peak. Methinks this is a crazy time to do a 50 mile race atop the mountains!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The race director fixed a rope and cut steps through the upper part of the snowfield leading out of the Hyalite cirque, a good safety precaution for those without an alpine background. Coming back down that snowfield at 6 pm was the fastest part of the whole day. Trekking poles make a pretty good ice axe substitute (for braking, not arresting).

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Alright, you convinced me – I've added it to my list.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools