Topic

5 X 8 Tarp Guyline Lengths

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique 5 X 8 Tarp Guyline Lengths

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

What are lengths of your guylines for a small tarp? Does anybody use long guylines so that they can adjust the tension, or do most people have set lengths for their guylines?

Thanks
    Max

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Max, I have had great luck using 8 pieces of 3 feet kelty trip tease for my 5×8 ID tarp. I tie a bowline knot in each end.

IIRC I picked up my methods from RJ's Lightweight Backpacking and Camping book. I do not attach any lines to the tarp until they are used.

Typically I will take stake down the 2 rear corners. Then I use 2 pieces on each side. I string 2 pieces together and use these piece (now 6 foot lengths) on each end. This uses all 8 pieces.

Here is a pic of the tarp setup using 8 pieces of cord.

tarp

In the morning I remove all all pieces and wind them around my stakes.

Jamie

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I have eight lines approximately five feet in length for my GoLite Poncho/Tarp. There is a bowline and a ZPacks mini-biner on one end and a tautline hitch on the other end.

I am toying around with putting triangular linelocks on the lines. In the morning, I fold each line in quarters and tie a slipped overhand over the folds. Each line is stored unconnected to the other. To set the tarp up, I attach the 'biner, the pull out the slipped overhand and stake as necessary.

I like having the tautlines because it allows tension without noticeable weight gain. I can also tie a clove hitch (tied using loops) a la Ray Jardine.

If I was using a small non-poncho'd tarp, I would use shorter lines, especially on the side guys – perhaps around three feet.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Corner guylines I use 18 inch long lengths….
    Side guylines I also use 18 inch long….
    Ridgelines I use 10ft to 8ft long…Front and back
    I have a Equinox 6×8 tarp and a GG Spinntwinn 8×10 tarp…

My 2 cents worth of spectra cord

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I use 2 to 3 footers on the sides and 5 to 6 footers on the ends. I also tie bowlines in them to tension, although I am liking the looks of MLD mini line locks.

Too long of side lines allow for too much flapping if it's windy. Too short of side lines unnecessarily limit stake positions in rocky terrain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools