Topic

New Alcohol Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Alcohol Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jim Wood
    BPL Member

@jwood

In March of last year, I developed a new alcohol stove that I think was (and still is) unique. Called the SUPER CAT, it is extraordinarily simple, yet is one of the hottest burning alcohol stoves I’ve seen.

I have decided at this point (January, 2005) to release the design into the public domain. If you’re interested, you can find more information and build instructions at: http://timberwolf.us/supercat

Jim Wood.

Jeremy Best

@ultralitejer

Jim, The super cat looks really good. I will have to build and test it soon. With that I will keep you posted.
    Jeremy

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I built this stove yesterday. It reminds me of Fuzzy’s Lil’ Stove, but simpler and more stable (because it’s shorter). It’s also superior in that removing the pan while the Fuzzy Stove is lit may cause the stove to burn up (mine did), whereas this stove won’t burn up because it pulls air in through the holes when uncovered (like a Robinson Cat Stove without the jacket). This stove only holds 1oz of fuel, limiting the amount of water you can boil. (I know, use a bigger can.)

Instead of using an ice pick to make the holes, I used a standard hole punch, and since I had slightly larger holes (1/4″ instead of 3/16″) I made fewer of them (8 / 12). This seemed to work fine, since the flame came out without excessive pressure and didn’t burn yellow.

Burn time for my standard setup (500ml water, 30ml denatured alcohol, aluminum pot, windscreen) was boil at 5:00, full rolling boil at 6:00, flame out at 7:00 (including the 0:30 warm-up period). This is about 0:30 more than my Guiness/Pepsi and Pepsi/Heine stoves, and is certainly reasonable. More, smaller holes would probably make the stove burn hotter, so the slower performance may well be my fault. Next time I pick up a can of cat food I’ll follow the instructions more closely.

Thanks for posting the design! This is certainly easy to make.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools