Topic

Using Google Spreadsheets/Maps for Trip Planning/Notification

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Using Google Spreadsheets/Maps for Trip Planning/Notification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    XYZ
    Spectator

@punqroqclimber

Hello! This is my first post, so forgive me if I am in the wrong spot for it. Also, I did some checking… but didn't come up with anything as far as this already being posted.

I thought it would be helpful to some people to see what I've done for previous trips, and for an upcoming one to plan with the others in my party, and also to have an itinerary on record and available for my emergency contacts etc.

Basically, I use google spreadsheets to outline my equipment list, contact numbers and resources (ranger stations etc) and an itinerary of what I'll be doing.

Here is a basic one I did last summer for a solo trek in Yosemite:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p_iHCzmgVfVfCHLAmuYMLRQ

As you can see, it's fully viewable online and will show real-time edits to all the tables as I change them.

This is a bit more sophisticated usage that utilizes google maps to show and describe a full itinerary. Just click on the link on the first page:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rz6VYR0oNt-B7y_BaC2o4eA&gid=0

Subsequent pages show the same information as the first spreadsheet.

Once I get exact trip details as far as trailhead, routes etc… i can update the map with those details.

The advantage of this is of course the relevant nature of the data… it's always up to date for everyone on my contact list to view. And it's available from anywhere by anyone.
    I just email the link to several friends before I leave, and everyone knows exactly what I'm doing. And I can call any one of them any time if I need a number for a ranger station, or (like on my first spreadsheet) my rental car reservation number etc.

Enjoy!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

You're not the first to discuss this, but that's okay – it's a worthy subject. Google Docs is a great way to share trip planning amongst friends and it's something I've been doing for the past two years.

We use this process in Backpacking Light's Wilderness Trekking School as well. For our week-plus long courses a group discussion and group spreadsheet is shared electronically amongst the participants so that everyone can work out their food and gear in advance. This is really helpful for people not sure of their gear choices or looking for suggestions for areas of improvement.

XYZ
    Spectator

@punqroqclimber

Woops, sorry for the duplicity.
    And here I thought I was an innovator. ;)

There are definitely a lot of ways to use it though… I'd be interested to here some unique usages of it actually if anyone has some.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools