Topic

Weekend trip in the Catskills starting 7/17

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Weekend trip in the Catskills starting 7/17

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Locale: ADKs

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Not sure how close the bus will get you, but I did a nice 20-22 mile loop in the Slide Mtn. area last summer. Would make for a nice, leisurely three day trip with lots of views and decent camping options. I don't remember the specific trail names I pieced together, but if you don't already have a set, you should pick up the NY-NJ Trail Conference Catskills maps. They are a great resource for planning trips up there.

http://www.nynjtc.org/product/catskill-trails-map-set

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Thanks Brad, I'm looking over some of your logs from trips, and they're helpful too – though I'm not sure this is the trip that I try Devil's Path ;)

I will pick up those maps and think about a route in the Slide Mountain area in the next day or so.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

No problem Nate.

Now that I think a little more, it was Slide-Cornell-Wittenberg Mtns. Some decent climbs in that stretch. Also had to road walk a few miles to complete the loop if I remember correctly.

I also did a trip around the Blackhead Range. I remember thinking that a 20-something mile loop might be a possibility there too but never got around to it.

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

if you want a serious work out the Devil's Path is a good choice for a 2-3 day trip. A bit dangerous when wet though.

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Thanks for the tip, that does sound like a fun challenge. I think because there may be others coming, I'm looking for something a little more leisurely or suitable for beginners this time around.

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

Escarpment trail sound about right. Don't know how easy it is without a car.

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

I can't find much info online about the Escarpment trail, but i heard its good.

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Thanks Vlad and Peter, I will check out that trail.

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

Locale: Brooklyn

NYNJ Trail Conference has a good page devoted to masstransit hikes. http://www.nynjtc.org/content/where-you-can-go-bus-or-train

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Escarpment trail looks perfect, but I'm concerned it's not really possible to get there without a car. Anyone wanna pick me up from Woodstock next Friday morning and do the trail with me :)

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Here's what you do if you want to get somewhere in the Cats:

1. Take the bus from NYC to New Paltz.

2. Rent a car on the cheap ($37 a day) from Sensible Car Rental ((845) 255-3500). They'll come pick you up at the bus station too.

3. Drive to the trailhead of your choice in the Cats.

You can only drive the Senible cars in a 60 mile radius from the rental office, but that'll work fine for the Catskills.

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Dave, thanks a lot for that advice, it definitely sounds like the way to go. I will call that company.

I'm reading more about this and I see that the Escarpment Trail is 24 miles ONE WAY. I was hoping it was a loop. So it seems like it is not very suitable for a weekend trip. Dave, it sounds like you've done this before. Do you know of a route that might make for a decent 2 1/2 or 3 day trip?

Thanks!
    Nate

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Arranging loop hikes in the Cats can be difficult and annoying, especially if you want to get some good miles in.

Honestly, if you want to do the Escarpment Trail or Devil's Path and you're solo and only have on car, the best thing to do is drive to where you plan to end your hike and have a cab come pick you up and shuttle you to where you want to start. It'll cost you $20 more or so, but you get to hike the trail you want. (Incidentally, you can also take the bus all the way to the Cats and have a cab pick you up and drop you off at the trail head…but you're SOL if they forget to pick you up or you're late finishing and they drive off.)

There are a lot of cab companies in the Cats. Just Google around. Be sure to call and set up your pick up location and time before you get too deep into the woods though, or you'll lose cell signal.

For what it's worth, I'm getting a car in a few weeks. If you want to car pool with me once I get it, that'd be great. Share gas expenses, keep emissions lower etc.

I get out pretty regularly.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Hey Dave H, thanks for those links. I have the Catskills maps. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do this weekend.

When is the next time you think you might want to come up for a weekend trip?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I'm not sure to be honest. I've been doing more rock climbing than hiking recently, but I'm getting a car in the next couple of weeks, so I'm going to be out lots after that.

I have to do the Bushwack Range. Last time I tried them, I had to bail with a corneal abrasion, so I need to redeem myself.

I also love camping along the Neversink.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools