Topic

Yellowstone Shuttle Info

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yellowstone Shuttle Info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brad Amundsen

@bjamundsen

Locale: Midwest

I'm looking for contact info for companies that provide shuttle service inside Yellowstone. I need to arrange a shuttle for my trip in September.

Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

I could use the same info, let me know what you find out. We are heading there in August.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I can't answer your question, but can add that I've found hitching from trailhead to trailhead within the park to be a real nuisance. Chris Plesko and I waited over an hour at the Lamar Valley TH last fall, with loads of couples giving the two guys with small packs the stinkeye, before an English guy picked us up. Last month my wife watched 32 cars pass before getting a ride from a German family in a HUGE RV. I always thought the rules were different for such things in parks, but perhaps that's changed.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Yes, it's a nusance, but someone will pick you up.

Tourists are not the same as salty old locals. Hitchhiking in the winds (not touristy ) means first car – always.

Brad Amundsen

@bjamundsen

The following link has a list of companies that provide transportation service in Yellowstone:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/transbusn.htm

I originally posted here to get help as many of the companies I called on this list only provide bus tours. I also called the Yellowstone Backcountry Office, and they recommended Back Country Sports (Jerry Funke). I have arranged a shuttle with him for my trip in September. At $200, it's the second most expensive cost of my trip behind airfare, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of alternatives.

I broached the hitch hiking option with my wife, but she shut that one down pretty quickly. Frankly, I'm happy that she wants to go hiking with me as it is a great experience to share, and it means I get out more often. The downside is that my pack gets a bit heavier and there's a few more expenses. Both are trades I'm willing to make.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Got picked up by the first car on the Sun Road in Glacier yesterday evening! Standing in pouring rain at 730pm and looking smiley and pathetic probably helped.

;)

Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

My wife and I decided to go the hitchiking route. We only need to go about 6 miles so we just start hiking and hope that someone picks us up. Worse case, we end up with a lot longer hike that day. I called a number of shuttles and all were $200 and up. When I talked to the backcountry office, the most he had ever waited was 15 minutes. Probably have a better chance with large packs and being a couple.

I hope to give a few people a ride to build up the karma.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

You'll do great. You'll get a ride really quick. Don't worry, people are nice in wyoming.

That said – It's all karma, if you have good karma – first car. If it's a LONG wait, re-examine your life.

jason miner

@iowaminer

My wife and I are looking at doing the Bechler River Trail this Summer in August. We thought this cost of $200 would be a lot easier if we could split it with anyone that might have the same itinerary. Anyone have Bechler on the brain for this summer?

april faul

@aprilf

I am currently planning a backpacking trip in Yellowstone as well and came across Yellowstone Roadrunner (YellowstoneRoadRunner.com). I am planning to hike the Shoshone Lake Loop through the Shoshone Geyser Basin and their rate Trailhead to Trailhead was about $140. Still expensive, but better than $200+. After reading several other blogs about hitchhiking in Yellowstone, I think I would rather just pay it for a guaranteed ride.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I might be in, 'cept I've got a big group of 8. When are you going? If we could find someone with a full-size passenger van we'd be great.

We would need a shuttle on Sunday, August 21 to take us from the Lone Star trailhead (OK1) to the Bechler River trailhead (9k1) (or nearby campsite) where we'll spend the night and start hiking on Monday, 8/22. We'll be doing the Shoshone river loop and done on Saturday 8/27.

Does this coincide with your trip by chance?

Perry H
    BPL Member

@hphock

When are you hikig Shoshone? My son (10) and Iare hiking Shoshone and would be happy to hike the reverse route,and swap keys. Otherwise, we will go the way of hitchhiking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools