Topic

one ounce pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear one ounce pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    mark henley

@flash582

Last year I developed a 1 ounce Cuben fiber pack, made from one yard of material.

I decided to follow Glen Van Peski's example of the G4 pack and try to give something back to the lightweight hiking community. You can have the instructions for free.

You can find the instructions here:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/myog.html

Please enjoy responsibly.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

I must say that is pretty impressive.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

This is exactly the type of project I was looking for for my first MYOG project, something functional that wont take up a LOT of very expensive fabric. I've only sewn some stuff sacks up to now, and I would like to make something that I can truly enjoy on the trail.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Looks cool. I'm hoping someone will follow these directions and post some more pictures up of the process and finished product. Thanks Mark!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love the pack Mark! Unfortunately, I don't sew. Would you consider making another? I'd love to add a Henley Pack to my SUL gear list.

Speaking of, your sub-3 list is great! It gives me some new ideas for my lightest kit.

Thanks!

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

no thanks, i'll stick with my redwing, more usefull.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Mark, it would be great if you could post some more pictures the pack… I'm a very visual learner so seeing more of the finished product would be very beneficial to me.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Yes, more pics would be great. Also, a table with the materials in international units please :-)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Thanks Mark, I'd like to make a pack like this for overnighters where I bring really low gear bulk and weight. The instructions are great, and a big thanks..I feel bad even saying this because you have obviously put some work into it, but I too would like to see more pictures to help understanding the instructions…I have to give them to my mom :)

Great stuff…

Edit:
    Robert, can you post a link to the "redwing" pack? I tried to google it but couldn't find it. I'd rather buy one then build one!

Shawn Wandell
    Spectator

@stwandell

Locale: Too close to lights

Kelty Redwing – mid-size pack in the 3+ lbs range.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

I saw the Kelty Redwing, but since we're talking a 1 ounce pack, assumed it was not the one. 3 lbs for 2500 cubic inches? That'll get your BPL membership taken away! ;)

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

Just found my next pack. Awesome

Unknown abc

@edude

absolutely amazing. Thanks

mark henley

@flash582

I've added more pictures to the instructions on the GC website and tried to make the instructions a bit more usable.

As for sewing, I'm currently recovering from back surgery, so I won't be sitting at a sewing machine any time soon, perhaps this fall I may be able to make a couple.

I'll keep working on this as I am able guys, I'm just going really slow these days.

One other thing …. Bill F's revolutionary ideas was without a doubt inspiration for this project. I wouldn't even had attempted to work with Cuben had it not been for Bill's work. Thanks for being my SUL Idol Bill!

Mark

mark henley

@flash582

Here are a few pictures of variants of the one ounce pack. A Cuben pack with a zipper lid, which I really didn't like too much (material wasn't stiff enough for the zipper I felt) and a 3200 Cu In version in Sil Nylon.Grey prototypeGrey Prototype StrapsGrey Prototype FrontCuben Prototype

mark henley

@flash582

Red PrototypeCuben Zipper Lid

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Lol @steve

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks Mark! I hope you're feeling better soon. If you ever decide to make a couple, please keep me in mind.

Best, Doug

Dan Lucas

@226dan

First, I want to thank Mark for giving back to the UL community by posting the instructions for The One Ounce GoFast Pack. The UL community will grow and prosper if more people follow Mark's lead and share ideas/experiences/patterns with the world.

I am new to UL and love the concept of MYOG. I was quite excited when I found The One Ounce GoFast Pack on the Gossamer Gear website. Using one yard of fabric and a simple pattern I figured this was a perfect newbie project. However, I've had an extremely difficult time with this pack. I simply can not decipher the instructions. Chances are the pack will never be finished.

The reason I'm posting this is to caution other MYOG newbies that this may not be the ideal first project. I've faced nothing but confusion and frustration when attempting to read the instructions. I understand you should fully understand each step of directions before starting a project but my judgment was clouded by my MYOG excitement. The One Ounce GoFast Pack turned my excitement into a headache and soured my view of MYOG.

However, I want to thank Mark for his time and hard work putting together the directions for this pack. It was his desire to share with the UL community that convinced me to stop lurking UL message boards and actually MAKE something. So while I didn't get a finished pack, I gained experience and a bit of insight into the MYOG process.

David Ure

@familyguy

I don't know. It seems kind of heavy.

(holy crap)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Dan,
    You never fail until you stop trying. There are some very talented members on this board who I am sure would take the time to help you with some of the issues you are having with the project. Post some pics and questions – I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Dan,

I have an 80 to 85% completed example of Mark's 1 oz pack done in grey silnylon. It is presently residing under the sewing machine in a plastic bag pending completion.

I began with this pack, tabled it, and moved on to sew and complete another pack.

I too had problems with understanding the instructions. Using the pictures for clarification was difficult because all the material in Mark's pictures was bright orange. It was hard for me to tell where a part of the pack began or ended.

I know the difficulty involved in developing a set of easily understandable instructions that makes it possible to transform what is in the mind's eye into a three dimensional piece of gear. Many times when we don't see what we expect to see as we follow someone elses direction we balk.

+1 for applauding Mark's efforts in sharing his design and instructions.

Never give up! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Mark,

I'm still in 4 pieces and needing some insight. I have two compelted pack straps, a main bag and a 90% complete pack lid. ;-)

In your original design was the lid supposed to have an actual pocket in it?

Why is it so important to stitch through the shockcord at the top opening of the pack to "make it ride high"?

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery on your back surgery.

Party On,

Newton

Dan Lucas

@226dan

Newton and Steven. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm traveling to Glacier next week. When I return I will post some images of my pack. I'm stuck on "Creating the Bottom" (pg. 9):

"Take the pack body and back panel assembly and find one of the corners where the seam ran out from attaching the back to the body. Turn the extra flap of material at the bottom 90 degrees at the point where the seam ran out, and sew it to the bottom of the back panel with a ½ inch seam allowance."

Thanks,
    Dan

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Dan,

I hope these pictures help with the construction of the bottom of your pack.

Bottom view front panel up

The red bandana is there for contrast to aid in visualizing the "articulated fold" that Mark was speaking about.

Right shoulder strap side view of bottom corner

FYI the front panel is what I call the shoulder strap side of the pack. It's the one that rides against your back.

Full view of bottom front panel up

The rear panel is what I call the side of the pack that has the large pleated pocket on it.

Bottom view rear panel up

This is the way that I interpreted the instructions concerning the construction of the pack's bottom. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools