Topic

How do you stop spindrift in a blizzard in a Pyramid tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking How do you stop spindrift in a blizzard in a Pyramid tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I have a GoLite Hex 3 and would like to experiment with it in a full on blizzard in the snow.
    I am wondering, how do you stop spindrift coming in?

Has anyone successfully used one of these shelters consistently in big snow storms?
    I am not talking about the odd 12 inches of snow one evening. I mean a full on blizzard.

I have a BPL bivy that I am sure would keep the snow off me but snow piling up inside doesn't sound great.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You bury the edges – with big walls.
    This may not work of course if the wind is strong. The walls can blow away or the fabric pull out from under.
    Then you have to decide where you are going to get your air from, and where the water vapour will go.

Basically, you need a full fabric (not netting) inner tent.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools