Topic

What is this moth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery What is this moth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I think I got the link right this time.

Moth??

Robert Miller

@procab

It is beautiful.

Your link problem is because the host (xs.to) won’t allow the full size pic to be displayed outside of their own site. Thumbnails appear to be OK.

Robert

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

It is a Moon Moth, from the same genus as Luna Moths. I’m not sure which subspecies it is, but the genus is Actias, perhaps Actias maenas or Actias philippinica? It is most likely a male because of its feathery antennae. Do you know which country this photo was taken in? Asia? Africa? The Americas?

Robert Miller

@procab

Miguel,

In another forum she posted:

I saw this on the steps of the Old Palace in Laung PraBaung, Laos. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Thanks, Carol

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Yep, it’s the Actias maenas, quite common in Southeast Asia. Carol, I saw your photos on John Cody’s moth gallery. Now I’m a little confused… (^J^)

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

Hi Miguel,
    I posted this ID question in 3 or 4 places and someone at John Cody answered first. I had posted in the unidentified catagory there. After getting the ID, I reposted in the right area for the moon moth.

Wow, I’m really pleased to have seen this in Laos! It was a good 5″ across and maybe 6″ long if you count the tails.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this.

Happy Trails

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools