Topic

Need help on the JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Need help on the JMT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hello everyone,

I know a lot of people have heard about Michael Popov's attempt to break the John Muir Trial Record (Supported) this year.

It turns out that he may not be able to do the attempt if he can not find 2 more people that can help pace him.

It is extremely hard to round up help, but I know there are many people here that love to be up and on the JMT.

His attempt will be from Aug 3rd-6th.
    He is looking for a pacer at the end of the first day, (the last 20 miles) and on the third day from Reds Meadow to Tuolumne, (32.5 miles)

I believe he is trying to go from Reds to Tuolumne in 11.5 hours. That is not too difficult for some of you out there.

There is a huge emphases on going now do to the fact that Kilian Jornet, Salomon's poster boy is going for the attempt later on this year.

Michael knows the trail and is sure he will be able to post a time that even Kilian will have hard time beating.
    That and who wants to give up the record to someone overseas?

They already put Sue Johnston, (the current record holder) on Team Salomon so they can have her insight on breaking the record.

If you or anyone you know is able to help please let me know.
    Thank you,
    Aaron Sorensen

Mark Davis

@trailster

Locale: Cascades

I can't help you with Michael's run, but I should be on the trail a few days earlier going for an unsupported record attempt. I did a fastpack last year and I think I could do it faster if everything goes well this year. I do like this form of racing; no crowds, pick your own start time, etc. I hope to get a chance to meet you along the trail. I understand you are in the USCG. I'm a Mate on the US Army Corps of Engineers Dredge Yaquina out of Portland. We work San Pablo Bay every few years not too far from you. Well, good luck on your next adventure.
    Mark

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Good Luck in your record attempt.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Art,
    No, the two of us made the attempt on Reinholds prior record starting on the same time in 2007.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools