Topic

Try to Fixed the Wind Shield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Try to Fixed the Wind Shield

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Haiqing Qiu

@haiqing

Locale: China

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

The spring is a nice idea to hold the windshield against the pan, but I think you should add a spacer to hold the windshield away from the pan. This will allow the flame to rise up the side of the pan, increasing efficiency.

With the current design, the only place for the hot gas to escape is through the opening, so the side of the pan isn't heated.

Also, since the burner is above the bottom of the windshield, it will be operating in exhaust gas, so it is likely to produce more CO than normal.

Haiqing Qiu

@haiqing

Yes friend,you're right,I found the problem.
    I will make more hole,or try to cut it shorter.
    :)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I like the idea! Perhaps you could just run the spring around the circumference of the pot, inside the windscreen… that would hold the screen slightly away from the side of the pot, but still hold good tension…

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Perhaps you could just run the spring around the circumference of the pot, inside the windscreen… that would hold the screen slightly away from the side of the pot, but still hold good tension…

That's exactly the idea I had over the weekend. My only worry is that heating the spring will anneal it, so losing its spring…

Haiqing, adding holes will just allow the hot gas to escape outside the windscreen. This is not good, as the heat will be wasted. What you need to do is make a gap between the windshield and the pan, that allows the hot gas to escape from below the pan, but stay close to the pan so that it continues to heat it.

Have a look at my Squeezebox Stove for an example.

ps. is your name really Haiqing? It's just that, in UK English, we use the word 'hiking' to mean 'backpacking'. A lucky coincidence that your name sounds the same as our word 'hiking' :-) On reflection, I think Chinese 'qi' may be pronounced as English 'chee'. Oh the troubles with transliterations…

Haiqing Qiu

@haiqing

Yes I see the pictures,that's a good idea!
    and,
    Yes my name is "Haiqing","hai"and "qing"is two character in Chinese.
    and"Qiu"is my family name
    :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools