Topic

Mt. Whitney – 2 openinings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Mt. Whitney – 2 openinings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Smith

@schmitty

I have a permit for Whitney July 16th-19th on the main Whitney trail out of Whitney Portal and had two of three partners cancel so I have two open slots. We will be heading to the trailhead from Bakersfield, CA Wed. night the 15th and hitting the trail Thurs. morning the 16th. We're gonna hike to trail camp Thurs. and summit and return Fri. but gave ourselves a couple extra days in case of weather or other issues. If anyone is interested in joining us let me know.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I'd post this also on the Mt. Whitney message board. You might get more action over there. Good luck on your hike. It is a fun one!!!

Adam Mendoza

@adammendoza

I've been wanting to do this trip. BTW: Can one do this trip during the winter? January?

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Yes, it can be done in winter. Winter conditions and all that this entails. Access to Whitney Portal can be an issue.

January? Most wait a bit longer for snow pack to accumulate.

Considering a winter trip with ski friends.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hey Christopher I also live in Bakersfield I'd love to go just don't know my schedule that far in advance. I've been wanting to do it coming in from the back side, but hey if you already have the permits cool! The long way will have to wait for another time. Keep me in mind if no one else wants to take your offer. I'll know more once it gets closer to the date. I have a trip planned for New York sometime in June just not sure if I'm going in the 1st week or last week, if its the last week probably wont be able to make your trip. If you want to talk more about it you can call me at 304-1997. Thanks Jack

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

You might notice that the original post was 7/2/09 and the trip was 7/16/09. You can't get permits for next summer yet.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Sorry Its been a long day. Thanks for the heads up Mike If you or Christopher ever need some one to go hiking give me a buzz. Thanks Jack

Greg Mareno

@gregmarenomsn-com

Hey!

I posted a few months ago and no hits. I'm planning to get the permits 2/1/10 and don't have anyone to hike the mountain with. I'd prefer to do it in one day but am not opposed to two or three days, July or August. If anyone is interested or anyone getting a group together I'd like to be considered. My wife doesn't want me to get eaten by a bear (lol)

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Greg, Go to the Inyo National Forest website for info on the Mt. Whitney Lottery. It is not the same as the other permit systems in the Sierras where you can reserve 6 months in advance. They take applications in the month of Feb. and do a lottery for dates. Your chances for getting your dates are slim, but they have multiple lines on the form for alternate dates. I didn't want to "rain on your parade", but I just wanted to give you a heads-up on the system. They generally receive 2-3 times the requests than they have permit space.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools