Topic

west coast trail updates – hiking in one week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion west coast trail updates – hiking in one week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rich Fredd

@rfredd

We are starting the WCT in one week and plan on a 6-day, 5-night hike starting from Port Renfrew(South). I wanted to see if anyone has done the trip in the last few years and could provide any last minute tips or conditions on the trail. Also, had a few questions:

1. How cold does it get at nights? I'm worried about bringing warm enough camp clothes. My sleeping bag is rated to 35 degrees.

2. Is the trail/beach buggy? Do I need to worry about bug spray?

3. Trekking poles or not?

4. I plan on one pair of hiking clothes and one pair of camp clothes (long johns) with one extra pair of socks and briefs. Then I will have my DriDucks rain gear. Does this seem sufficient?

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Here's a good informational for you…
    http://thewestcoasttrail.ucalgaryblogs.ca/hiker-information/what-to-bring/

I don't think anyone can really tell you whether to bring trekking poles or not, as it depends largely on personal preference and how light your load is going to be.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi – I have done the WCT 4 times, the last this past May – first on, first off.

1. How cold does it get at nights? I'm worried about bringing warm enough camp clothes. My sleeping bag is rated to 35 degrees.

You will be fine with that sleeping bag temperature range, especially in the summer and early fall. The only consideration is moisture control. Everything seems to get damp even if no rain – the humidity is considerable.

2. Is the trail/beach buggy? Do I need to worry about bug spray?

The trail can be a bit buggy, but you will be moving enough that it is rarely an issue. The beach is fine except at the odd campsite when sand flies come out. They bite. I would take a little deet or comparative just in case.

3. Trekking poles or not?

Absolutely. Not only do they help on the trail in the muddy areas (you will likely be doing about a KM an hour in these areas (about 22KM of it) but are valued on the sand and tidal shelf. You will not be disappointed with the additional support.

4. I plan on one pair of hiking clothes and one pair of camp clothes (long johns) with one extra pair of socks and briefs. Then I will have my DriDucks rain gear. Does this seem sufficient?

It seems sufficient to me. You will not be doing any bushwacking (although I did and that is a loooong story) so the DriDucks should be fine. Extra pair of briefs is a good idea but I might bring 2-3 pairs of socks because of the potential for wet feet.

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

i did it last july in 6 days so here are my thoughts:

1. we had no rain, but our feet were wet by the 2nd day due to mud (we started from the south), so i would bring another pair of socks.
    2. i had the same clothing as you and never had to use the driducks….so i'm glad i didn't spend hundreds on nice rain gear.
    3. i'm from florida, so take it for what it's worth, but i got cold each night. i had a 42 degree sleeping bag with long johns and a ski hat.
    4. we had no bug issues
    5. i took two poles and didn't use them until my knee started giving my problems on day three….then i just used one to help lessen the stress on the knee.
    6. my tent didn't have a vestibule and my backpack cover was soaked each morning.
    7. put your stuff in the bear cache as soon as you get to camp as they fill-up fast.
    8. pay up and take the boat ride back to your car….we got food and beers and took them onboard and saw whales and sea lions and got to see the whole wct from end to beginning.

my blog of the wct….http://richfredd.blogspot.com/

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

wow….just answered my own questions a year later for those wanting answers….that was some strong stuff last night :-)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Rich,

You started the thread…….

Almost exactly 1 year ago!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools