Topic

Colorado 14er on July 17th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Colorado 14er on July 17th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Kremers

@dkremers

Looking for a 14er near Denver to hike on July 17th. Visiting a friend in Denver and we wanted to try and hike one of the 14ers. Obviously weather permiting which 14er would you guys suggest. 2wd vehicle accessible trailhead. Non rope climbing. the 3 person party is very athletic and can handle a strenous hike.

which mountian(s) (could do a tandum if it can be done in a day) do you guys think would be good to shoot for.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

If you can leave the trailhead at 3:00 AM, to get off the top by noon, do Longs Peak. No permit needed. It's a true classic. Otherwise, I'd urge you to do Grays and Torreys (access to these is just off I-70, trailhead is less than an hour from Denver, and they're usually done together). When climbing any 14er in Colorado, get off the top by noon-1:00 PM, before the clouds build up. The afternoon thunderstorms, with the attendant lightning, can truly mess up your day.

Paul Vertrees
    BPL Member

@sawtooth

Locale: Southern Colorado Rockies

Bierstadt and over to Evans via the Sawtooth, if you're not opposed to some exposure. :)

Daniel Kremers

@dkremers

So we decided to try Bierstadt and Evans via sawtooth. We only got up Bierstadt due to some altitude sickness but was still very fun. I'll post a trip report later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools