Topic

Young Lakes-Yosemite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Young Lakes-Yosemite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

P6260177
    Delaney Creek

Myself,son and wife went to Young Lakes in northern Yosemite…When it was a 104 degrees in the Eastbay it was very nice and comfortable at around 9,500 feet. The mosquitoes were manageable and were only bothersome at creeks and streams. They were not a problem at all at Young Lake. We had to walk over a few patches of snow but also was not a problem. Here are a few pictures- the view was incredible looking towards Tuolumne Valley and the Sierra Mountains.

P6260188

Ragged Peak 10,912 ft

P6260189

My wife and son napping in the afternoon in Golite Hex shelter.

P6260192

Otherside of Ragged Peak and Youngs Lake.

P6260195

Mt Conness in the distance-12,590 ft

P6260196

Conness Creek

P6260199

Our lunch time view from left to right:
    Johnston Pk, Unicorn Pk, Echo Pk, Catherdal Pk and Fairview Dome.

We had a excellent family weekend and I was able to train for the my upcoming hike of the TRT next week.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Good looking family Jay.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for sharing Jay. Nice pictures. I am glad your family was able to enjoy Youngs Lake. It's one of those really pretty places that an ideal distance for the younger set: a bit of work, but not too far leaving time to enjoy a wonderful destination.

Wow… I wish I was there rather than in the 101F we had here in Mountain View. Make me wonder if I might be able to drag might daughter there next weekend. It's been couple of years since I have hit that part of the park. I will have to show her your pictures and pull out some of mine to encourage her.

–mark

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wow, I didn't realize there was such an alpine area so close to the trailhead there; usually I'm heading down the valley for more distant areas. I'm always looking for hikes for my kids in the coming years (they are 3 and 4 now), and the looks to be excellent. Just to be clear, does this hike start at Lembert Dome and head north-east (north of dog lake)? I've done Vogelsang from Lembert Dome, but didn't realize there was anything like this above Lembert. Is Dog Lake also alpine, or is it forested?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

The hike starts at the stables on Soda Springs Rd to Dog Lake trail to Youngs Lake (6.5 miles one way)..Youngs lake is forested with great campsites on the North of the lake. My 8yr son did a good job- we took A LOT of breaks because of the high altitude- it took almost 5 hours to get there and about 3 1/2 hrs on the return. That is a great part of the park-Less traveled.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Young's Lake is below tree line so around camp there are definitely trees and a lot of scrub, but it's open enough that you have good views of the bare round and those classic alpine views.

Dog lake is forested. My memory is that dog lake is officially a day use only though I have seen people breaking the rules and camping there.

Another good place for younger kids in this area is 20 lakes which is just behind saddlebag lake just beyond tioga pass.

–mark

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

thanks for the post Jay, and kudos for letting the wife use the Neoair :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Jonathan, My wife really is not a gear geek like myself but she really liked the NeoAir A LOT.. Oh darn!! I just have to let her have my Regular size pad and then order myself a Large NeoAir-very cuffy-cozy to say the least! When do you start the JMT?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Jay, awesome pics as usual. That is such a drastically different landscape then what we have up here, looks absolutely beautiful.

Afternoon naps are the best aren't they? :)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I agree Saddlebag Lake and 20 Lakes Basin is awesome. Limited camping around most of the lakes, but the views are amazing!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Yep Jay, nice pics. I have always wanted to go there..cool!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jay,

Ditto.

Very nice photos and the family looked nice and happy.

Did you just bring the Hex Inner Bug Net or did you bring the whole shelter?

Anyway, thanks for posting and see you in two days for the TRT.

-Tony

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Jay,

I always enjoy your postings and your pics really great. Just curious, what kind of camera do you carry most often?

Thanks,

Kendall

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Tony & Kendell, I brought the entire shelter Tony but it was warm so we slept under the stars-NICE!!!! Kendell my camera is a old (2004) Olympus-D435..I am on the hunt for a replacement..I can't keep up with the changing technology…Tony can you recommend a camera?

-Jay

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jay,

I have only had 2 digital cameras in my life.

Both are Cannon digital elph.

I just recently bought the IS880, which has the wide angle lens, which is great for the outdoor shots of scenery.

You can take a look at it on the TRT trip.

It is only 6 to 7 oz with the battery.

10 Megapixel and has a 4x zoom, which is double my old 3.2 megapixel S230 elph.

The only complaint that I have is that the menu system is much more complex with all the added junk features.

There is a olympus? that is waterproof and shock proof that is small, if you are hard on your gear.

With the 16 MG SD card that I have, I can take something like 3200 photos.

Insane.

-Tony

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Jay,

Thanks for answering my question. With regards to keeping up with "the changing technology:" -LOL- I know! Right!?!? The minute you walk out of the store with it it's already out of date! LOL

Thanks again, :)
    Kendall

Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Locale: Santa Cruz Area

Great pictures Jay – I'm envious. I’ve tried numerous times to get my family out but have not been very successful. My kids are 7 and 4 years old and get scared of outside noises (even in our own backyard). I guess I have to wait longer until they get older – however, seeing your family pictures gives me hope. Tuolumne country is awesome – I’ve pasted by Young lakes several times going to climb Mt. Conness.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools