Topic

Sub $20 bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sub $20 bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Posted this on the G-Spot as part of a 5# pack I have been working on. Thought I would post the sleeping quilt here if anybody is interested.

Made it for under $20. On sale super light 2nds nylon from walmart and 3/8" polyfill from Joann on sale. Velcro foot area with a web and a drawstring foot box. You can completely open it up or close the footbox, vent the foot box etc. This was a test run for the real deal with materials from thruhiker, but I like it for a super thin summer bag. I live in the SE so it never gets too cold at night in the summer so its fine for that. Need to add some straps to the upper part.

Weighs about 14 oz

Open foot – Tube

Photobucket

Closed footbox

Photobucket

Completely Open

Photobucket

Also have an Adventure Med bivy bag as an extender if need be. Its the heavy duty one. I moded it to totally open up or close with velcro.

BPL Member

@rschuster

Locale: Washington

>Weighs about 14 oz

A 14 oz bag with no insulation?!?!
    What material are you using?? I didn't know they make nylon lead…
    I guess the fact it costs $20 shows the lack of quality material used to build it.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

Raphi: Troy used "3/8" polyfill from Joann" as insulation. Hence, the 14 ounce weight.

Thanks for the post, Troy. Even though this was just at test run before sewing a bag with high-quality materials, it's a good illustration that it's possible to build lightweight gear on a shoestring budget. As you suggested, this sounds like a great bag for summer here in the SE.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

The 2nds nylon is high quality ripstop.
    I was surprised to find it at walmart.
    Weighs 1.3 oz per yd.
    It cost $1.50 per yard.

The insulation is 3/8 polyfil. If I remember right it is stabilized, or whatever they call it, IE not the cheap stuff that falls apart. It was on sale for 50% off of $10.99.

Just because something is cheap to buy or on sale does not mean its a low quality material. Besides this was initially a test run, since I have not sewn anything in years.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

"Just because something is cheap to buy or on sale does not mean its a low quality material."

Agreed! You got a great deal and were smart to so a less expensive trial. From the looks of things you did such a fine job you won't have much, if anything, to tweak on the "production" model :) !!!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Troy,
    Nice bag. I have no experience with polyfill so I am lost as to how it will perform…I will say that at 14 ounces, even if you can take the bag to ~45/50*F, that is a pretty sweet little creation…how likely do you think that is? I'd love to see this tested in the field. Nice work.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

From the looks of it, it should be similar to the original polarguard, just heavier.

The bag is very thin. I would say 60dF is more likely the rating depending on how you sleep and why I have the thermal bivy in the pack.

I do have a #7 montbell synthetic bag and this is just a bit thinner.

With the thermal bivy this home made bag should be good down to 45-50dF depending but then you are up to 21 oz.

One thing for sure, it would need a sewn in footbox to go to 45-50.

I think I am going to build the real deal next, but probably a waterproof down quilt, if I can keep it at 12 oz. then do away with the thermal bivy or maybe get the lighter thermal bivy as an extender.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

OK, maybe 45 would be pushing it. :)

No better way to find out then to try it out. I am unfamiliar with your location, but assuming it is warm, you have got a good functional bag. Make sure to update us on the next one aswell.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Right on Troy!

Putting on my research scientist hat for a moment: our rule of thumb was that we didn't field test until Version 6!
    Reckon we do better in the MYOG area.

Have fun.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

you can get climasheild insualiton for $12.45 and yard. http://owfinc.com/Fabrics/insulation.asp

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

you can get climasheild insualiton for $12.45 and yard. http://owfinc.com/Fabrics/insulation.asp

Also here, http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php, different weight options (and prices)

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I do think you could manage 45dF with the med em bivy and the quilt with a good pad. That said all that adds up to some bulk and 1# 5oz and you can build a warmer quilt at less weight although with the quilt and med emer bivy it is a more flexable setup than just a bag alone.

This thing was a sewing test for the most part and I would change some things if I did it again. I do like it and about all it is good for by itself is 65-70dF. Very thin. The quilt is a good piece of emergency gear because it stuffs down to large softball size. Better than nothing if you get stuck.

I think you can get .6" loft CS for $10 a yard at thru hiker. Not sure how small a 12 oz quilt built with that insul would stuff down to

I am still trying to sort out my different gear setups.

This started as more of a grab and go day hiker hunting pack. This quilt with the med emer bag, poncho shelter and some minimal Eq including a prorest, essentials with food and 2L water for 2 days fits into my XPS hydration pak. Bought it on sale at bass pro shops for $20.
    Dont know how many cubes it is but its very small.

Works out to 12-12.5# loaded for 2 days with food and water. Its a good day or two hiker in case of an emergency.

If I am just using it as an emergency rig I leave some the stuff in the list at home.

Link…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools