Topic

$ store finds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear $ store finds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    john safron

@johnq62

9" Aluminum pie pans = pot covers, plates….panning for gold?

Tuna & chicken foil packs.
    soap,lipton soup,plastic bondo(body filler for cars) scrapers~for pot cleaning.
    WELL?

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

i bought a few laundry bags at a dollar store for next to nothing. they are just fine for storing my cheaper spare sleeping bags.

Joey Prescott

@paintball2404

Theres more useful stuff at the dollar store than you would think.

I found some very sick food grade plastic containers that hold different amounts at the dollar stoe. I have also found biodegradable soap, mouthwash, toothpaste (travel size ofc) Wet ones wipes, bandannas, aluminum trowel. Lots of useful stuff to be found cheaply at the dollar stores, just gotta keep a eye out for complete junk lol.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

I recently got a colling rack for backing, it stainless steel, and im thinking would make an awesome grill, but im too much of a gram weenie to bring a steak for more than the first night, let alone a grill, but its an idea, they are very light :)

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Reflective auto shades for sleeping pads. Sweet:]

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Ball of hemp cord if you are a fire person.

Dipped in wax it makes a great fire starter.
    Not so great for a cord, but it would do in an emergency for something light. I unrolled 24' and ran it through some hot wax. Weighs 2 oz if I remember right.

Cut it up into 1" pieces for a fire starter.

David Wills

@willspower3

Umbrellas! When I picked one up around the NY/CT border on the AT it lasted until Manchester Center VT where i picked up another one that was beefier and $1 as well. It still had some life in it, but not enough to get to the next $1 store. It was described by a guy on NYC streets as being 'the weakest umbrella he had ever seen'. It rained everyday from NY/CT to Manchester Center so it got plenty of use. Pretty light too, but i havent weight it.
    Spatula- handle removed, silicon trimmed down to clean pots for every last calorie

Pocket knife (junk)
    1200ci backpack, 1" webbing for straps (ouch).
    Cheesy looking trucker hats
    flip flops for camp shoes up to size 9, girl colors
    nylon dress socks
    emergency ponchos
    vinyl table clothes- junk ground sheet
    duct tape
    medical supplies
    bleach
    junk flashlights
    lighters
    dry foods (mac&cheese, single pop tarts, junk food)
    sport drinks for water bottles

if you throw dollar general into the equation you open yourself up to $5 poly tarps, $10 fleece sleeping bags, $5 croc knockoffs, and a much better selection of trucker hats

john safron

@johnq62

"much better selection of trucker hats"
    Thanks for the laugh :)

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W

Don't forget those potato sticks that look like mini french fries. Came off the trail a few months ago and grabbed a bag on a whim. A couple of ales later and they were gone….salty, fried, potato goodness.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

Reflective auto shades can also be used to make a great pot cozy. Thats what I do, mine weighs .6 oz. Pretty much the same thing as the AGG pot cozy material.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools