Topic

White Mountains Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists White Mountains Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

My Wife and I are going to be spending 7 days in the Whites.

Our trip date is from July 21st to July 28th. I am looking for tips on whether or not we need to add more gear. Specifically if we need to bring rain pants or more insulating layers.

This is our list:

Me–

Shelter:

BA Seedhouse SL2 Body – 19 oz
    Tent Fly – 16.63 oz
    Stuff sack for tent – 1.38 oz

Total – 2.23 Lbs

Sleeping;

Lafuma Pro 650 35* Down – 24.63 oz
    POE Ether – 16.75

Total – 2.59 Lbs

Clothing:

Icebreaker 250 Long Sleeve (worn)
    Zip Off Pants (worn)

Extra Pair Socks – 2.75 oz
    Lightweight Long Underwear (for sleeping) – 6 oz
    Liner Socks (for sleeping) – .75 oz
    Montbell UL Down Parka – 9 oz
    Light Fleece Hat – 1.13 oz
    Light Fleece Gloves – 1.38 oz
    Marmot Ion Wind Shirt – 5.12 oz
    Marmot Precip Rain Jacket – 12.38 0z

Total: 2.41 Lbs

Cooking:

MSR Pocket Rocket Stove – 3.5 oz
    K-Mart Grease Pot – 3.63 oz
    LMF Spork x2 – .8 oz
    Empty Fuel canister – 4 oz

Total: .75 lbs

Hygiene: (I carry our pack towel and some Bronners)
    Total: 1.5 oz

Misc:

Matches in small ziplock
    DEET repackaged
    Bear Bag setup (Bag, Rope, Biner)
    Compass
    Duct Tape
    Head Lamp
    Map
    Mini Bic
    Mini Swiss Army Knife
    Water Purification Tabs (10)
    Alosak

Total: .58 Lbs

Camara Stuff:

HP Sd1100 – 5.25 oz
    Tripod – 4.5 oz

Total: .61 Lbs

Hydration:

MSR Drom Bag – 4.75 oz
    MSR Hydration Kit – 2.00 oz
    Vit Water Bottle for Powdered Drink – 1 oz

Total: .49 Lbs (I know this is too much but the MSR is works and I can't justify another $30 for something I already have.)

Pack:

Osprey Talon 44 – 31.5 oz
    Liner Bag – 1 oz

Total: 2.03 Lbs

Base Weight – 11.77 Lbs

Her–

Shelter:

Tent Poles – 13.25
    Tent Stakes – 3.00

Total: 1.02 Lbs

Sleeping:

Lafuma Pro 650 35* Down – 24.63
    Big Agnes Air Core – 21.00

Total 2.85 Lbs

Clothing:

Ice Breaker 250 Long Sleeve (worn)
    Zip off Pants (worn)

Extra Pair Socks – 2.75
    Polartec Fleece – 11.75
    Cuddle Dudes lightweight long underwear (for sleeping)- 9.5
    Liner Socks (for sleeping) .75
    Marmot Precip Rain Jacket – 12.38
    Light Fleece Hat – 1.13
    Light Fleece Gloves – 1.38

Total: 2.48 Lbs

First Aid Kit:

full kit – 2.85 oz

Hygiene:

Full Hygiene – 5.35 oz

Misc (headlamp and lighter):

Total – 1.39 oz

Hydration:

2Lt Camelbak – 7.75 oz
    Steripen Classic – 7.50 oz

Total – .95 Lbs

Pack

Osprey Talon 33 – 28 oz
    Pack Liner – 1 oz

Total – 1.81 Lbs

Base Weight – 9.71 Lbs

Thanks for the help,

–scott

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Your insulation looks fine both in regards to your sleeping bags and your clothing. Your MB UL Inner and her fleece will be plenty to wear around camp for insulation.

You could drop your windshirt since you can just wear your rain jacket if you require a windproof layer.

Rainpants in the summer are not necessary. It depends on what clothing you're going to hike and sleep in. If you're hiking in shorts and have long underwear to sleep in you will be fine provided you don't mind slipping into damp shorts in the morning.

My own system now is I hike in shorts and use a 0.8oz cuben fiber rain skirt to keep my shorts dry. When I get to camp I put my long underwear on then I can slip my dry shorts over them which is nice if I'm sharing a shelter with other people. You could make your own light cheap rain skirt out of a garbage bag or get a fairly cheap one from ULA that weighs about 3 ounces.

But anyway, before I went to the rain skirt system I hiked in the summer without rain pants a lot in the Whites.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

>>>Hydration:

MSR Drom Bag – 4.75 oz
    MSR Hydration Kit – 2.00 oz
    Vit Water Bottle for Powdered Drink – 1 oz

Total: .49 Lbs (I know this is too much but the MSR is works and I can't justify another $30 for something I already have.)<<<

I'm assuming the drom bag/hydration kit is some kind of water bag with a hydration tube?

If you're willing to do without that convenience for just a couple of bucks you can get (2) 1 liter spring water bottles and then use a zip lock for powdered drink mix and drop 5 ounces or so.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I would suggest putting your list into a spreadsheet form to make it more readable for yourself and the community. Unless I missed it, I didn't see an insulating layer for your wife. Here is a nice format: http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/a43940ed7befc292427e7ffa7bf76d37.pdf and of course, if you didn't find it, these are other gear lists: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/user_gear_list_index.html

What are the expected lows for the trip during that time frame? That would help frame how much insulation you need to bring.

One last suggestion is that your sleeping bag and insulating layer are both down. Make sure you have in a waterproof container otherwise you'll have no insulating layers if it wets out. I'm not sure if it's standard practice, but I have seen lists where at least one form of insulation is synthetic.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

I think you got all you need to not die. Rain protection is nice even if you are just walking through a cloud all day.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Scott,
    Pretty solid list, would lose the rain pants IF your hiking pants are quick drying.

Would not bring bear bag, campsites in the Whites have bear boxes.

Would opt for rain shell and leave the wind shell at home, personal preference on this one.

Enjoy your trip
    Jim

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Good list. Even though I have posted on other threads that my Golite Wisp windshirt is my favorite gear, you could get along without it and also the rain pants. I have actually carried rain pants, but not used them while hiking so that I would have them dry to wear in camp. or to bed if cold. (Golite Reed) That said I have hiked across the Presidentials on a windy July day wearing rain pants as a substutue for long pants . I have also stood on Mt Washington on a 70 degree cloudless July day. The skirt is a great idea to keep your shorts dry. As a long sleeve shirt which is all you need for warmth on an average day, I use a light weight long underwear top.
    At this site you should reference NH, others have written about the White Mountains somewhere out west (Arizona??)
    A knowledgeable White Mt. hiker, member of the Dartmouth Outing Club, has a nice web site to help you plan; hikethewhites.com
    In the following photos note what people were wearing at the the start of the day and what was worn as the weather cleared traversing the Presidentials one day mid-July.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560021386KlKVXU

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

Thanks for all the great info.

I did not realize they had boxes at all the camps. It will be great not having to hang a bag.

I will have to get a rain wrap. This is a much better option then rain pants.

I will probably leave the wind shirt at home, I was thinking it would be nice for hot windy days above treeline but I think wind and hot are mutually exclusive.

thnks again,

Edit:

After looking at the AMC site it looks like Liberty Springs, Garfield, and Guyot do not have Bear Boxes. Looks like I will be bringing the bag after all.

–scott

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Yeah in general I believe the majority of campsites in the Whites do not have bear boxes although I have seen more recently.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Mice are the main culprits. Hang your food. Leave zippers open if any on your pack.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools