Topic

Snow conditions on the PCT South of Sonora Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Snow conditions on the PCT South of Sonora Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Has anyone been on the PCT going south from Sonora Pass in the last week or so. I was planning to do that section in a week or two. Anyone have any info on snow for the first 10 miles south of Sonora pass along the ridge.

Thanks.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Richard, dunno if this helps or not. A group of us (Bpl'ers) hiked in from Crabtree and from what we heard, the snow was still pretty prevelant in the higher country. That said, I am not sure how it will be in the next few weeks with our heat wave.. I'd imagine that there will be spots and patches of it. I would not worry too much due to it being on the Sierra Crest and how it is "finally" heating up

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Thruhikers generally aren't there yet, though you could look at trailjournals.com Word is that this year has been a light snow year and that people are breezing through. After a couple of miles you're up on the ridge south of the pass. That melts early and will be fine. Getting up to there might have some snow, likely passable, though in 2006 I did have to self arrest while descending there in mid july.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Bump – Anyone up there this last weekend? I'm especially interested in the trail for the first 10 miles southbound from the pass. Is the northfacing bowl at the very beginning all iced up or …?

I did get some info off trailjournals.com, but nothing definitive.

Thanks.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I hiked this area June 19. This is a while ago so conditions have to be improved. Here is my experience with the area south of Sonora Pass on the day I encountered it:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=278847

You will see that I did not hike in the region between Kennedy Canyon and the pass. I got lost. My hiking partners, one of whom is very hard-core, did not want to attempt the trail because of dangerous snow conditions and took the Leavitt Lake detour.

If there is one piece of info I can stress, it is that if you are planning to go south of Dorothy Pass, try to cross Falls Creek before the outflow to Tilden Lake, then cross Tilden Lake's outflow, then hike cross-country to the PCT near Wilmer Lake. Otherwise, you will be sorry you did not bring your ferry boat.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Diane,

Thanks for the confirmation. I actually saw your post on trailjournals.com (based on the suggestion that Jack H made above) and decided that since I had a couple of guys with me who have no experience with an ice axe and self arrest that we'd do something else. We hope to do a section of the PCT up by Buck's Lake outside of Quincy over 4 July.

Thanks again and good luck with your hike.

Richard

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools