Has anyone been on the PCT going south from Sonora Pass in the last week or so. I was planning to do that section in a week or two. Anyone have any info on snow for the first 10 miles south of Sonora pass along the ridge.
Thanks.
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
Has anyone been on the PCT going south from Sonora Pass in the last week or so. I was planning to do that section in a week or two. Anyone have any info on snow for the first 10 miles south of Sonora pass along the ridge.
Thanks.
Richard, dunno if this helps or not. A group of us (Bpl'ers) hiked in from Crabtree and from what we heard, the snow was still pretty prevelant in the higher country. That said, I am not sure how it will be in the next few weeks with our heat wave.. I'd imagine that there will be spots and patches of it. I would not worry too much due to it being on the Sierra Crest and how it is "finally" heating up
Thruhikers generally aren't there yet, though you could look at trailjournals.com Word is that this year has been a light snow year and that people are breezing through. After a couple of miles you're up on the ridge south of the pass. That melts early and will be fine. Getting up to there might have some snow, likely passable, though in 2006 I did have to self arrest while descending there in mid july.
Bump – Anyone up there this last weekend? I'm especially interested in the trail for the first 10 miles southbound from the pass. Is the northfacing bowl at the very beginning all iced up or …?
I did get some info off trailjournals.com, but nothing definitive.
Thanks.
I hiked this area June 19. This is a while ago so conditions have to be improved. Here is my experience with the area south of Sonora Pass on the day I encountered it:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=278847
You will see that I did not hike in the region between Kennedy Canyon and the pass. I got lost. My hiking partners, one of whom is very hard-core, did not want to attempt the trail because of dangerous snow conditions and took the Leavitt Lake detour.
If there is one piece of info I can stress, it is that if you are planning to go south of Dorothy Pass, try to cross Falls Creek before the outflow to Tilden Lake, then cross Tilden Lake's outflow, then hike cross-country to the PCT near Wilmer Lake. Otherwise, you will be sorry you did not bring your ferry boat.
Diane,
Thanks for the confirmation. I actually saw your post on trailjournals.com (based on the suggestion that Jack H made above) and decided that since I had a couple of guys with me who have no experience with an ice axe and self arrest that we'd do something else. We hope to do a section of the PCT up by Buck's Lake outside of Quincy over 4 July.
Thanks again and good luck with your hike.
Richard
Become a member to post in the forums.