Topic

Organizing, lighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Organizing, lighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I "have" to use some sort of organizer bag for my sundries, and this past weekend had the realization that the 1.6oz commercial one I've been using was far too heavy given its size. I made a new organizer out of Spinntex and .33oz Cuben, made it 50% larger (12 in. x 19 in. opened all the way), and it weighs .39oz. Still heavier than I wanted, but I added some handy-dandy velcro strips in a few places.

More to the point, it was hot, and I don't deal well with heat. I was shirtless, weighing my new creation in the bathroom on my digital scale, when I happened to look in the mirror. Egad! Here I was fussing over 1.2 oz, and working my gear list down to about 8 pounds from 11 or 12, when I've easily got 15 POUNDS to lose around my middle. Unfortunately, I think it's probably easier to make lighter gear than it is to lose weight and keep it off. Maybe I could make some kind of device to help with weight loss… ;P

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Can you post a picture of your project?

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Tell me about it Brad….I have been struggling for the last 3 years with weight I thought I had gotten rid of. This gain had nothing to do with what was in my pack and everything to do with having trail time. I was lucky enough to have 3 life changing events in a 6 month span starting about 4 years back. My trail mileage dropped from an average around 40 miles a week to single digits monthly…(I had lost 50 or 51 pounds in less than a year mostly due to backpacking)

But more on your "invention"…I was not carrying any UL back in my higher mileage days, and I am sure that boosted my weight loss. I am not suggesting anyone carry heavy loads, but I found I could carry a 3 day pack on day hikes and even afternoon walks for a little extra "training". It allowed me to tweak adjustments on my pack. It gave me practice packing my kit (almost daily), and also made little difference to my body whether I was out for the afternoon or a couple of days. It allowed me to spend more time on trail and a little less time following a work out program. It worked for me, and I am hoping it will work again :)

Not for everyone – just my experience.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hey, Jonathan-

Yeah, that sounds kind of similar to my experience. I used to live in an incredible trail town and got out daily, miles a day. Now I live in a city, going for a walk means sidewalks and cars and people. Or go to a gym. I much preferred throwing on a pack for a dayhike, or jumping in my boat for a paddle. Trying to get back there…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools