Topic

Micro Drop Bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Micro Drop Bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Firstly, I want to comment that these little bottles are excellent for storing “most” fluids in the smallest and most convenient fashion possible. BUT, do not store bleach in them. I have always carried a small amount of bleach as a disinfectant. I use 5-7 drops in a about a quart of water to do a final rinse on my eating utensils, cup or bowl and pot. Learned this little trick on Sierra Club trek years ago. So, thought that these little bottles would be a great solution to the problem of find a small storage vial. WRONG! The bleach eats right through the plastic cap and over time — about a month — you end up with bleach leaking out and damaging anything it contacts especially nylon. So, I had to replace several stuff sacks that came in contact with the stuff. SO be warned — don’t store bleach in these little wonders. I am sure that there are other caustic liquids that are equally a problem. Wish I knew what they were.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Sorry to hear about your “educational experience” with liquid bleach.

Our Target store sells one pound bags of powdered chlorine “shock tratment” for swimming pools. A little bit of that powder in water makes a potent chlorine rinse. I haven’t measured, sorry.

For our scouts we store it the nalgene bottles that have gasketed caps and repackage it for use into the smallest nalgene bottles that have gasketed caps (approx 2oz).

For an adult crew you could get by with a less bomb proof container. Maybe one of BPL’s smaller HD ziplocks.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Great Idea — never thought of that. Thanks for info.

pops c

@popsc

Locale: Southwest

"The bleach eats right through the plastic cap and over time — about a month — you end up with bleach leaking out and damaging anything it"

Anyone had a source for 2 oz dropper bottles good for corrosives?

thx!

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Well, considering that bleach usually comes in plastic bottles it just means you need to match the micro drop bottle to the correct type of plastic; if they do exist in that size.

pops c

@popsc

Rottenfor50years-
    I don’t think you read the post? The bottles are fine (HDPE), it’s the caps that break down (3 in the last year).
    Thanks anyhow,

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I've never bought any, was just lucky enough to get a bunch of sample size eye drops when I got brass in my eye. They look a lot like the pictures online, and they fit inside the cap of my sawyer or platy bags for storage, if that's any indication to size comparison. I kept bleach in one all year last year without any cap problems, so it must be different. Is there a brand name to avoid or something?

I actually am repurposing them yet again for aqua mira this time. Although I haven't figured out the drop size yet, as these micro droppers have smaller droplet sizes than something like an aqua mira bottle.

pops c

@popsc

@ Glenn64

A common use of Polystyrene (PS) marked w/ code 6, is bottle caps. Chemical Resistance of PS is “Semi”.

For Chlorine storage cap should be Polypropylene (PP) code 5, Chemical Resistance of PP is “Good”, same as HDPE code 4.

Here’s all the info:
    http://www.containerandpackaging.com/info/plasticology.asp

Under menu click “Closures” look at Dispensing Caps & Droppers in PP and HDPE

Look at the illustrations; you probably all ready have the correct caps.

How “GET ON THE TRAIL”

AZT Challenge 43 = 7.5

P.S. It’s odd that the 1st instructional step for Aquamira is: “1 ' Prior to treatment clean and disinfect the water storage container and lid”.
    A lot of $ money for 2% Chlorine Dioxide and 98% “other”; that’s some high profits!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Good info Pops, but I never see the code on the cap. It is almost always printed on the bottle, but there doesn't seem to be enough real estate for them to print it on the cap. Any good way to figure out what the cap is made from?

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

This is some good info … I would have never in a million years considered cap failure ……

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

If you want to distinguish PP and PS, acetone (nail polish remover) will pretty much leave the PP alone and eat the PS quickly. Try a drop with a Q-tip and see if it becomes sticky.

Acetone will also attack PE, but not like it will PS.

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

I've had this issue with clorox storage bottles, but didn't realize that the caps were failing. If anyone comes up with a good source for PP caps, I will be very interested.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I am about 99% sure that the mini dropper bottle I am using for bleach is from a kit that Lawson Kline used to sell on his site, although, I may be wrong…

Anyway, for the last 1.5 – 2 years, I have been using this tiny dropper bottle for bleach and have experienced no issues with the bottle, the nipple, or the cap. I simply refill it after each trip as needed to top it off, so it has had bleach in it constantly. I even just went and checked the bottle and cap over before this post to be sure and it all is just fine.

pops c

@popsc

AndyS- Thx for the test info!

AT Hiker-
    (Just found this)
    Go to website above in my 02/20 post, you can request up to 10 sample items for $7.50 shipping.

I setup a 1 oz and a ½ oz dropper bottles and some extra caps.

1 OZ WHT HDPE CYL BOTTLE 20-410 1500 Item: B413

1/2 OZ NAT HDPE BR BTL 15-415 2750 Item: B439

1oz DRP PLASTIC 20-400 2000 Item: M005P (chemical resistant?)

15-415 DRP CAP PP BLUE 5000 Item: L506B

20-400 DROPPER CAP PP WHT 5000 Item: L524

20-410 PLYTP WHT PP 3mm 2750 Item: L376

15mm DROP TIP PP NAT UNCONT 9000 Item: L502

15-415 DRP CAP PP RED 5000 Item: L506R

15-415 DRP CAP PP YLW 5000 Item: L506Y

Subtotal $0.00
    Tax $0.00
    Small order fee
    Shipping $7.50
    Total $7.50

pops c

He’s not working trail he’s just soothing his psyche

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

caps on small bottles fail regularly, in all services.

The #1 cause is overtightening.

As plastic ages it gets brittle, plasticizers are leached out, UV degrades it, etc, even without chemical attack.

The screw threads can tighten the cap with tremendous force for such a thin sliver of plastic.

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

Thanks for the link to Container and Packaging. I just placed an order.

pops c

@popsc

Livingontheroad- “caps on small bottles fail regularly, in all services. The #1 cause is overtightening”
    So noted! Thx!

@ Stick – Lawson’s has been a GREAT place to shop! Not sure where my bottles were from. And thx for the Videos!

Hopefully my CL Hazardous spill days are over…

Pops c

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools