Topic

Shenadoah hike (my son’d 1st overnight)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Shenadoah hike (my son’d 1st overnight)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Now that all the graduation parties and b-day parties are over I finally had time to post about our trip.

It was my son Kevin's 1st overnight on the AT, so I picked Shenandoah b/c of the good views and easy treadway. My buddy Jack joined us, along with his son Connor. We did an easy out and back from Elkwallow to Gravel Springs hut.

Starting out at Elkwallow

Saturday was overcast and humid, and I must say I felt like I had been in a swimming pool by the time we reached GS hut. If it weren't for the breeze it would have been pretty bad. As it was the trail was easy and the boys were having fun (the dads too).

Rest stop

Shenandoah view

While we were taking a break at the 4th peak of Hogback I heard a rock turn over ahead on the trail and went to investigate. Just as I suspected, a very large bear about 75 feet away. Man was I stoked, since this was my 1st bear in 20 years of sectioning the AT! That really made my day.

Later, as we descended the switchbacks approaching Hogback overlook the 2 boys poured it on, leaving the "old heads" behind. Ahh, to be 9 again (actually just to have that kind of energy again).

Eventually we made our way to GS hut and since the tentsites were full, the hut was barely occupied and it was going to thunderstorm later we decided to sleep in the shelter. June 13 was Kevin's birthday and my wife was gracious enough to let me take him hiking. After dinner all the hikers in attendance sang Happy Birthday to Kevin and shared in the mini brownie cupcakes I brought for everyone.

The rain rolled through (I love the sound of rain on a tin roof) with a little lightning and thunder, and eventually the rained ended around 3am I think. Anyhow Sunday was clear, with no humidity. Our trip back was some of the nicest hiking I could have asked for. Nice temps, and a comfortable breeze. I paid the boys back on the climb up the switchbacks on Hogback, since I actually enjoy climbing instead of going downhill. Showed 'em the old man ain't dead yet!

group shot

Anyway, we had a great time and the Blackberry milkshakes at Elkwallow were awesome.

Hogback range

Here's the link to my trip video:
    https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Outdoor_Adventures.html#Shenadoah_June_14,_2009

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

Is that in the skyline drive area? I lived in Martinsburg, WV and would drive down there just to cruise on the mountain top roads. Beautiful area.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

The 1st view was from Rattlesnake overlook, and the last shot was from an unknown overlook (I can't remember which one) as we were leaving the park. The last shot is a good representation of the terrain we crossed. The trail crosses Skyline Drive quite a bit, which makes it idea for someone's 1st hike. In fact we crossed SD at least 4 times in 6 miles. I wasn't sure what to expect from the boys so I played it safe.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Congrats on your son's first overnight

Good pics

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Did ya'll get black berry shakes at elkwallow?

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Oh Yeah! I wasn't sure if I'd like it but went for it anyway. Gotta admit, they're awesome!

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

SNP is our second home and all me and the mrs. talk about on the last mile of any hike is Blackberry shakes and sundays.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

"SNP is our second home and all me and the mrs. talk about on the last mile of any hike is Blackberry shakes and sundays.
    "

It's my new playground since moving here to Dc two years ago but I did not know about these. Will have to try this on the weekend.

m

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Me and the Mrs. are close to our goal of hiking all 500 miles in SNP so if ya'll are looking for beta hit me up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools