Topic

Synthetic Vs Down?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJun 22, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Which do you like more and why? I am under the impression that down weighs less, it keep you really warm, but does not try well if it gets wet. Synthetic dry quick, can keep you warm, but is slightly heavier and wears out over time quicker. However, which of the two takes up more volume in your backpack?

PostedJun 22, 2009 at 3:35 pm

synthetics will take up more room in your pack because they don't compress as easily as down. down bags can last years. if you are able to keep it dry, down is the way to go.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedJun 22, 2009 at 8:44 pm

In almost all conditions I would go with down for a sleeping bag. better value when you factor in # years of use, lighter, compresses more.

When it comes to clothing it sort of depends. In conditions where I might want to use my insulation like a belay jacket (e.g. it goes over my shell and worn exposed to the environment) synthetic is the only want to go. If I was in super brutal cold, or modest temps with little chance or rain I go with down.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJun 22, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hi Timothy

If your subscribe you will be able to read a review here which compared down and synthetic for water absorption and drying times. I think you might be a bit surprised at the results.

Those ducks and geese have had a lot of evolution.

Cheers

Boozer BPL Member
PostedJun 22, 2009 at 8:52 pm

The Point goes to Caffin for the subscription jab.

Well played.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...