Topic

Rehydrating tortellini

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Rehydrating tortellini

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Is it possible to just rehydrate the dried tortellini they sell at big box stores, or does it need to be cooked and dehydrated first?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes, this is one of the cases where it doesn't need to be cooked (unlike most pasta).

You can soak it in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes drain and chow. :-) Get the really small sized ones though!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'll check and see if I got the small ones. Would they be FBC-able?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes! :-)

They don't as super soft as with boiling for the ungodly time on the package, but personally I like them with a bit of bite. It was another poster on Whiteblaze years ago, TDale, who clues me in :-) I like Barilla and Trader Joe's version.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Joe,
    Do some trial runs at home.
    We've done well with a couple of brands, but the current Wally World version is a bit reluctant to soften up.

We found that additional insulation and additional time did the trick. Like in the cozy, under a fleece hat, for say 25 minutes, instead of the usual 15 minutes for most FB stuff.

Perfectomundo!

ymWv

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools