Topic

Backpack Dilemma…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJun 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I am almost certain I would like to get the Exos 58. However, I have a torso lengh of 17.2 inches and a waist size of 32.

Small Version

– Torso Length 16.5-18 inches
– Waist Length 27-30 inches

Medium Verison

– Torso Lenght 18.5-20.5 inches
– Waist Lenght 30-34 inches

Do you see where my dilemma is occuring. If I get the Small the waist length wont be long enough. If I get the medium the length of the frame will be to long. What's a guy suppose to do?

Obviously, or so I would think, if I had pick one, the small one would be the one to go with. But equally as obvious; if I didn't have to pick one, which I don't, then neither would be ideal.

I tried both on too. The small fits my back perfectly! However, the medium leaves the stabilizer straps above my shoulders lose. In other words it dosnt do a good job holding the back against my back.

With the small one, the waist trap do not wrap past the tips of my hipbones. In fact, if I remember correctly, they dont even come flush with the tips of them. The medium wraist straps fit perfectly.

So in your opinion, am I write in believing that I have the follow options:

– Go with a different backpack
– Get the small
– Get mediums straps special ordered onto the pack (I dont think that is probably possible with this particualr model though right?)

If you have other options please let me know. I need the advice of all you brilliant backpacks. Thanks!

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedJun 21, 2009 at 8:43 am

I think the correct answer is find another pack. That is what I had to do.

Boozer BPL Member
PostedJun 21, 2009 at 9:00 am

Ben – he said he did try them on.

Timothy – I would suggest marking the small off your list all together unless you intend to shrink your waist size. Framed packs are meant to transfer that load to your hips so you want your hip belt to fit well. As for the medium – I would go back and load it up with the maximum weight you intend to carry with this pack. Walk around with weight and adjust the pack to comfort. If you can't find the sweet spot then it's just not the pack for you. Don't let want over ride function. I speak from experience. "Want" built my gear closet into the beast that it is. Personally I would rather have the right fit over weight reduction. No matter how light, fit is first on my list.

Edit: Note – Joe and I both own or have owned this pack.

PostedJun 21, 2009 at 9:09 am

I can't accurately answer your question, Timothy, but I do know that there are people who are paid to answer questions exactly like this. Here's how to find them: Call up or drive to a gear store that carries Osprey backpacks. Talk to their sales staff. Maybe, I don't know, try on a backpack or two? Problem solved. If you're not into the whole talking on the phone, talking face-to-face, trying before-you-buy thing, Backcountry.com has an online chat where you can talk to their professional sales staff in an instant message format. Tell them your measurements and they will recommend a backpack for you.

BTW- if you can post your question in a topic you already made about the exact same subject, the general rule of thumb is to do so (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=21958).

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedJun 21, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Mine would be owned. Couldn't make the hip belt work, not enough reach apparently. And i really wanted it to work, as I was pretty invested in the Exos series.

Good to see Boozer again!

PostedJun 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I would also recommend you load up a medium (don't even think about the small) and see how it carries. Better to have no weight on your shoulders than all the weight on your shoulders…but then you're talking to someone who has a phobia about carrying weight on my shoulders, and found the size large (on paper I should be a small in back length) to fit perfectly when fully loaded.

PostedJun 22, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Should I try to go on a diet and lose an inch on my waist. Im 5'7 150lbs. I could maybe lose 5 or 6 lbs. Do you think that will help, or do you think that I want this backpack too much for my own good lol P.S. I will probably lose some weight on the Appalachian Trail as it is right? So maybe the small will fit eventually.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...