Topic

My GG Thinlight Mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My GG Thinlight Mod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

I was going to buy another ThinLight to cut about 10" off and make a sit pad/extension but since the Thinlight is 59" long and I'm 67.5" tall I don't need much more length to make a full length pad. I figured out that if I cut 13" off the end of my pad I would have a 46.5"x19.5" inch section and an easily accessible 13"x19.5" sit pad section that I can attach longways to make a 66" pad. I punched holes in the pads so i can tie them together and also tie the quilt to the end of the pad and stake it down since I don't use a bivy. With the money I saved I was able to buy a NightLight torso so I can extend my season. I'm sure people have done this before but I haven't seen or heard it anywhere so I figured I'd post it. Here's some Pictures.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice bit of thinking there.

Oh how I long for the days when I would have been just fine to sleep on a thinlight pad (not really … I'm saving up for a NeoAir, he-he). Hats off to those that can tough it out with less.

A minor suggestion, especially if you are using a 1/8" thinlight … consider reinforcing the areas where you put the holes. A 2"x2" piece of duct tape on each face of the pad would work well.

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

Thanks Jim. It's the 3/8" ThinLight but duct tape is a great idea because the holes still look stressed. I've had it down to 38 degrees and it's warm enough but i do wake up about 3-4 times a night from being uncomfortable. I hope the NightLight is a little more comfortable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools