Topic

Dehydrated Wine from Katadyn????

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrated Wine from Katadyn????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

I thought this was a joke until I found it on a Katadyn website. I still don't see how this is possible, but Katadyn is selling packets of dehydrated wine from one of their subsidiary companies' web site and it's only available in select countries in Europe. They claim it is 8.2% alcohol, but how would you dehydrate alchohol??? Is there a small shot that you add after you reconstitute the powder???

Trek 'N Eat Red Wine

Action Photos

Dave T

@davet

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Well I'll be! I wonder how much the flavor of the water used to rehydrate would affect the taste. Neat idea though.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

If you buy cask strength scotch, it's sort of like semi-dehydrated.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Dehydrated wine…. I would consider myself to be open minded, but, yuk…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

LOL–thanks, Chris!

“Clumpy, musty odor, like drinking beetroot juice spiked with cheap vodka that has spoiled at the bottom of the ocean for three hundred years. “

I think I'll pass, too!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ummmm I'll pass. I will stick to my Argyle Pinot's, Chalk Hill Chard's and such. I'd rather drink the real stuff than an imitation.

Much rather bring a single malt anyway

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I think his description was enough for me to avoid the product completely. I tend to be a little bit of a wine snob so I'd probably be turned off just at the smell. The way he described it was bad enough without actually having to taste it. The idea is neat though.

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

Locale: Brooklyn

I've heard of powdered alcohol… supposedly there is dehydrated beer looming on the horizon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSPAR64994620070606
    http://omgletsbbq.com/alaskan-made-dehydrated-beer/

but at the end of the day I'd rather have a rumrunner flask full of makers mark or some other good bourbon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Post deleted

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

was the beet juice or the vodka spoiled for 300 years at the bottom of the ocean?

'cause if it's the vodka, i may be willing to try this…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tom

> Post deleted

Just as well …. :-)

Cheers

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Because I choose not to drink alcohol anymore, I'm glad to hear it does not seem to be packaged for fun. I'd hate to be missing something really good : )

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Laurie, I am too a wine snob. Due to the fact that I make a living at it. Your thoughts are very correct. I could not and would not drink that.

Nice idea though.

I look at it this way. Once I drink whatever is in my flask is gone, then it is less weight!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Just as well …. :-)"

Right on. Every once in a while, I manage to extricate my foot from my mouth before I choke on it. ;-}

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

If only I could get a nice Chataeu Neuf du Pape in a tetra pack… lol… but that just seems so…. wrong.

I have been known to decant into a Platy. I'm still trying to pair a wine for our herbed tomato and goat cheese pasta dish which I will be eating exactly one week from now on a wilderness lake. It's heavy on the garlic and basil… any suggestions Ken? I seemed to be blocked on this one because everytime I think of it, the description of the powdered wine pops into my head… lol.

Brett Marl
    Spectator

@brettmarl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

i actually have one pack of this left if anyone is brave enough to give it a whirl… cover the postage and it's all yours.

like i said in my review – it's quite revolting :)

maybe if you've used a lot of Zicam, you'll find it delicious ;)

Brett Marl
    Spectator

@brettmarl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Gone. Nate Meinzer is the (un)lucky winner!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I think I'll just stick with my Dallas Dhu.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Thanks, Brett — the one semi "ultralight" way to imbibe on the trail for me is to bring a small amount of everclear, mix as desired with water (1:7 ratio for me) and add flavoring of choice; crystal light sells "white grape" flavor, for example, or whatever.

It ain't wine, but as a backup stove fuel and a late-trip celebratory drink it's not bad, either. My (already low) standards for this sort of thing definitely go down after a number of days of hiking plus perhaps high elevation and maybe a dash of dehydration into the mix.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I tried dehydrated wine in 1988 when i was working in Kuwait :)

Saying the taste is awful is an understatment…

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

Bleah put away your dehydrated wine and try some dehydrated marijuana! Only with a doctors prescription of course.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

The Japanese had a line of cocktails that were dehydrated and they were ghastly [the online word blocker would not let me use the appropriate language].
    The peach something or other could be gagged down if you added some real vodka, the rest wouldn't pass for squid water.

Willem Jongman

@willem

I am glad nobody to my knowledge sells this stuff in the Netherlands. Yuk. It is true, however, that bringing a bottle of wine does rather spoil one's ultralight ambitions. The first thing I have done is to ditch the glass and get a Platypreserve wine bag. I am really happy with them. Sometimes, however, that is not really enough, and one has to revert to the age old way to dehydrate wine: distilling. Brandy, after all, is just distilled wine that has lost two thirds of its volume and weight in the process. Of course one does not dilute it to turn it into wine, but it does the essential thing, of reducing the weight and volume of a given quantity of alcohol. Though not derived from wine, the same logic applies to other spirits. I am planning a two week bike trek in Norway, and I know any kind of alcoholic drink is expensive and hard to get there. So I am planning on taking a Platypus wine bag filled with spirits of one kind or another. Has anyone tried spirits in the Platypreserve yet?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools