Topic

MSR Carbon Flex 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

It caught my eye, of course so did the $499 price tag. However, I have $1000 worth of REI gift cards, so while its a hefty price, if I did end up buying it I wouldnt lose as much sleep over matters.

What do you experts out there thing of it? I was debating between the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2, Big Agnes Copper Spur, and the Rei T2 Quarterdome. I am open to other alternatives as well, but I want the tent to be under 4lbs when fully packed and made for two people.

While id love to hear your opinions on all four tents, Id be equally satisfied to know what you think of the MSR Carbon Flex 2 on its own.

I realize there is a Member article review on this posted, however, I am still in debate mode about becoming a member. Thanks.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I think the majority of the members on here would be more familiar with recommending the offerings of Tarptent, SMD, MLD, etc. And carbon poles don't have the greatest track record.

Someone will chime in on it though.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Membership is well worth it. I just renewed a couple of days ago. BPL reviews are done by extremely experienced hikers who have used a lot of gear over the years. The articles are far more in depth than any other site's reviews, and gear is tested using a scientific method.

As for those tents, I'd go for the copper spur or the seedhouse. Quarterdome also gets good reviews if you are under 6'. Apparently the length specs are wrong. Similarly for the Carbon Reflex 2, the width is *much* less than advertised (around 40 inches I think!).

Other tents to consider: the tents made by tarptent.com (they now have some double wall versions too) and six moon designs, plus the Big Sky line of tents, and pyramids from Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD). All of these are lighter and/or roomier than the ones you have mentioned. Particular favourites around here are the SMD lunar duo and the Tarptent Double Rainbow. The double wall Scarp 2 has recently been released too (tarptent). If you are interested in pyramids check out the MLD duomid and the golite shangri-la 3… both are popular.

Do some googling of the forums on these tents… there have been plenty of discussions and comparisons.

Cheers, A

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Joe

There are CF poles and CF poles. The pultruded stuff is flakey, but the stuff with a 2D wrap is bomber imho. I don't use Al poles at all, even on my winter tents.

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Carbon Reflex is fine, but narrow. Also a lower return on investment, meaning that the 3# weight costs you $500, whereas a Big Sky at 3# costs you $350 (and has a lot more room inside). I'm a big fan of the Copper Spurs, fair bit of internal volume, more vertical walls than the Seedhouse. Personally don't think the Seedhouse is a reasonable 2-person option b/c of steep wall slope and relatively narrow footprint anyway. Copper Spur 2 is 3.5 pounds, $400, great tent overall. I'll chime in on membership: pretty silly not to sign up. It's the cheapest investment you can make in gaining gear knowledge and gaining guidance toward outfitting yourself well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools