Topic

Need help filtering water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need help filtering water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ronald liljedahl
    BPL Member

@trout-1-2

I want to get rid of the weight from my pump water filter. I am interested in trying to incorporate a Sweetwater Siltstopper and a Seychelle In Line Eliminator water filter into the tubing of my Platypus or building a gravity fed water filter.

I have 2 specific questions.

The Sweetwater Siltstopper input and output spouts are significantly smaller than the inner diameter of my Platypus tubing. Any thoughts how to put the Siltstopper into the line without it leaking?

Where in the line of the Platypus or the gravity fed water filter would you place these filters? Near the reservoir or more down stream in the tubing?

Thanks.

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

I made a gravity filter a while ago and had a similar problem with the tube sizing. I went to the local hardware store and bought some rubber tubing that fit over the filter’s spout, but inside (with a bit of work) the hose I was using. After fitting it all together, I wrapped the tubing/spout interface with waxed nylon string tightly, like fishing poles guides are attached to the rod.

The location of the filter shouldn’t make much difference in performance. For a platypus system, you will want the filter inside your pack to keep it from bouncing against your chest while hiking; reducing the chance of it coming loose. I’ve seen the gravity filters with the filter at the water reservoir or the filter at the end. Both seem to work the same.

Jay
    MYOG

Curtis Presson

@obdewla_x

Unless you’re jusy dying to make your own in-line filter, ULA makes a nice gravity filter system one for in camp use called the H20 Amigo and weighs 7.5oz. Check it out at
    . Just a thought.

Curtis Presson

@obdewla_x

Let’s try that again! Check out the H20 Amigo at

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Make your own
    gravity water filter

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Just curious: It doesn’t bother you to have to wait for the water to filter? I’ve thought about using a gravity fed filter for a while but am impatient. Usually when I want water, I want it right away and don’t want to wait.

Carol Brown
    Spectator

@brownwetdog

Locale: Idaho

Hi Jason, One of my first chores in camp is to set up my H2O Amigo to filter water. I usually have plenty of filtered water (at 1.7 liters / minute) in the 5 minutes or so it takes to set up camp. I’ve been pleased with mine. I usually hike near good water sources, so have never used it in a dry (desert) type setting. YMMV… Carol

Leonard Rice

@lrrice

Go to your local autoparts store and look in the vacuum hose fittings. You should be able to find plastic stepped fittings that will fit different sized tubing on both ends.

Brian Ng

@brian-1

You can use short runs of silicone hose from any filter system. The silicone hose is small diameter, but will stretch to fit over larger fittings. If you put it on a smaller fitting, you can add an elastic band over the connection to dynamically “clamp” the hose in place. I use the same hose they provide with the PUR/katadyn hiker filter.

My gravity setup that I made a few years ago:
    platypus 3L big zip “hoser”
    camelbak quick connector with shut-off
    sweetwater silt-stopper
    one of those inline filters.. seychelle? it’s black.
    I filter into my camelbak 1.5L bladder, or directly into a cookpot when camping with a group. The shutoff is handy, or you could just un-hang the “dirty” water bag.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools