Topic

Tent for 2 plus pooch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Bahner

@jmbahner

Locale: Philly suburbs

So right now my girlfriend and i use a seedhouse 2 for camping, however with our pup it makes things snug to say the least…can you guys recommend a good 2 and a half person tent for 2 plus pooch and hopefully under 5 lbs even though thats not the lightest i know

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Can you give us a little more information as to what type of conditions you will be using it in? i.e. weather, climate, seasons, location, etc.

That will help people give you the feedback you are looking for.

I have a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 on the way and am expecting it tomorrow. It is a 3 person that has received raving reviews for 3 people, 2 parents + 2 kids, or 2 people + dog. It is a single wall and weighs about 2.5 lbs.

You can also do a search for "family tent" or "3 person tent" and you will come up with other forum discussions…

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Agreed, need more info! Asking for recommendations on a tent for two plus pooch is like asking for recommendations on a car for two plus pooch… there are many, many options but not all of them may be suitable. It depends very much on the weather conditions in which you want to use it, and what your "must haves" and "don't care" features are.

James Bahner

@jmbahner

Locale: Philly suburbs

Mostly 3 season in pennsylvania, and some rain and light snow but nothing too intense. we don't want just a tarp, must have a floor and be able to fully close up. biggest thing is durability, he is a 70 pound collie and my girlfriend is 5'9 and i am 6'3 so we are tall folks. and a finished basement and breakfast nook would be terrific.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Well, if you're happy with your Seedhouse SL2, you could just step up to the SL3. REI makes the Quarter Dome 3 that hits 5lbs right no the nose. It has 39sqft vs 28 for the SL2, is cheaper than the BA SL3, and has two doors vs one.

Certainly not UL, but neither is the SL2.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

James, a 'mid might be your ticket. I'm using a GoLite SL3 with bug insert right now, works out great, 2-3person, 5 pounds with center pole, 4 pounds if you use trekking poles. Might also check out the Copper Spur 3, great for what you're talking about; if I had the money I'd own one… 4.25# for a "3" person tent! If you really want some space to spread out, I've been quite happy w/4-person mids with liners, ala BDs Megalight w/liner. Around 5 pounds for 2 people, a couple of lab-size dogs, and gear…

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Consider a Skylight, nominally a three-person tent but just about right for two adults plus a dog. Vestibule is small (non-existent if you don't button up the tent at night) and mild condensation, but a great tent. If you are willing to splurge (in dollars and weight) you might consider an Ahwahnee, the best all-around two person tent ever made, and certainly large enough for the three of you.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I have a 2+ person MSR Missing Link, it weighs in at 3 lbs and you would have no problem with 2 people plus a pooch in that thing. It sets up with 2 trekking poles, and is single wall. It has got high and low venting, and actually handles condensation very well. It's fairly cheap as well, when weighing other options.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The Tarptent Rainshadow also has my vote. 42 oz., single wall tent, full floor, full netting and vestibule. The specs are at: http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/RAINSHADOW2.pdf
    and photos are at: http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html

This is a full tent, not a tarp. The "Tarptent" name throws some people off, but it is a real tent. The Rainshadow is absolutely palatial–with myself, two grandkids and my 70-lb. dog there's all kinds of room. No basement, but certainly room enough to cook (in the vestibule) and eat (inside) unless you're in bear country. In fact, you could probably fit the two of you plus dog in the Rainshadow's little brother, the 2-person Squall 2 (34 oz), but with both of you being tall it might be a little snug. And as we dog owners all know, it's not the dog who gives up space for the humans!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools