Topic

I need to make a Rucksack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear I need to make a Rucksack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

hey guys/gals- I have a three week trip planned for this fall and I would like to have a small rucksack. It needs to be simple, drawstring top closure, 3/4" shoulder straps, maybe a sternum strap to prevent it from sliding off my shoulders, this could be added if necessary and that's about it. It would be used for picking up groceries and other supplies in town, carrying laundry, a liter of water and snacks for side trips from camp or town. Max weight to carry, less than 8 pounds if that much, capacity around 13-15L. Weight should be as light a possible, yet durable and folds flat or rolls so it easily fits in my pack.

I have an OR 15L stuff sack that I no longer use and thinking about stitching on shoulder straps.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/lightweight_
    stuff_sacks.html

I've never done anything like this and I'm open to suggestions and ideas, especially about attaching the straps. If you have photos they're very helpful to me when making something from scratch.

thanks
    JJ

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

That's a very viable idea.

Attaching straps … back the inside of the sack at the attachment areas with a layer or two of fabric and sew the attachment points with several lines of stitching spread over a few square inches.

Look at Zpacks Zero for some dimensions and a few photos.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Jim- thanks, the Zpack photos are a great reference and all I need. I would order the small, but don't want to wait until Dec, maybe later. I have lots of scrap tyvek to work with and practice the stitching, when I get one I like then I can adapt the stuff sack or if the tyvek works well enough just use it.

Will post pics when I get a finished sack

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just go to REI and buy a $25. Flash. Exactly what you described plus more features and excellent quality. It's a "stufdack/rucksack. I use mine when backpacking & I know I'll need a daypack for summiting or other side trips.

Eric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools