Topic

Pulk Sled, What Size?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Pulk Sled, What Size?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Smith

@schmitty

I'm looking to build a pulk and can't decide on a size (36",48",60"). I like the 36" for the ability to strap on to my pack for crossings and areas that the pulk can't be pulled; however, I like to 60" for the additional weight distribution. What size sled do you prefer or recommend?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I depends on what your are using it for. Mine is about 60" and not UL but I'm usually pulling more then my own stuff- I also find that if I'm on uneven terrain the longer sled tracks better. If you are on flat and hard snow and don't need the space, you could go smaller.
    I also can unhook my poles and the kids can use/play with the Pulk as a sled (we have a lot of hills in my area, see my avatar) so I guess the extra weight is okay because its multi-use?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I personally like a pulk that is smaller so it is easier to turn around trees and obstacles. I find that the longer and wider pulks are more suited for open terrain with trails that are around 8' wide (c.c. ski trails).

Currently my pulk is 48" long, 18" wide, and 7" deep. I use two crossed poles each 4'-8" long. With this setup I can backpack through narrow trails and rough terrain without having the sled get hung up or tip over.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools