Topic

Maximum reasonable carry weight for GG Mariposa?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Maximum reasonable carry weight for GG Mariposa?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I currently own GG G5 and G6 packs and like them a lot. I’m considering an ’07 PCT thru hike and am weighing my pack options. I’m looking at the Mariposa as a possibility, but unsure of the realistic carrying capacity of the pack. My base weight without pack will be in the region of 10-11lbs, but with water and food added (especially during some sections of the desert) I’m thinking I may end up having to carry 40lbs for some short durations.

Can the Mariposa really carry this load? The other option I’m looking at is a custom McHale pack. Obviously heavier and very expensive, but likely to be much more comfortable with larger pack weights. It just seems a little overkill given that for 90% of the length of the trail I’m unlikely to be carrying much more than 20lbs. Any suggestions?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

If you decide that the Mariposa is not up to the task and the McHale also is not appropriate, then look at the Six Moon Designs Starlite.

SMD Starlite

Here are BPL reviews of the Mariposa and the Starlite

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Having had an ultra light pack let go on me I would contact Gossamer for their reaction, having said that, Mchale makes awfully nice packs and since cost does not seem a factor I would lean that way.
    Which ever way you go remember all this super ultra light gear is still a pain to carry in your arms…

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Howdy Graeme,
    Sorry I didn’t get in here sooner on this, just saw it. We are about to go into production on a “Mariposa PLus” which is essentially a Mariposa made with ripstop nylon. We’re doing this for thru-hikers, bushwackers, etc. While we don’t reccomend carrying 40lbs in any of our packs consistently the Plus should have no problem with your occaisonal overloads in the desert.

Douglas Meredith

@dougmeredith

Cool. Any estimate on the weight?

Doug

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Don’t hold me to it Douglas but should be about 21 oz. I should have the final prototype in my hands later this week and I’ll know more then.

Douglas Meredith

@dougmeredith

That sounds like a reasonable weight. The only thing that stopped me from buying this pack was concerns about duarability.

What is the expected availability?

Doug

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Doug we should have them in about 4-5 weeks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools