Topic

I need a loop!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Whats the best 80-120 mile loop to be found in california/oregon/washington for this time of year (july/august). Im looking to take a break just go easy for 10 days want great sights, low traffic, and (maybe) access to a resupply halfway. Apart from that anything goes.

Steve Cain

@hoosierdaddy

Locale: Western Washington

Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yep, +1 to the WT. The crowds are controlled by permits. You might see dayhikers near roads but interior wise, no.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

There's book about Mt Rainier that made me want to do the Wonderland Trail someday. (The author attempted and failed miserably, but the book was great, IMHO)

Measure of a Mountain.

Wonderland, the JMT and GC Rim-to-Rim and the top 3 trails on my to-do list for the coming years.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I don't know much about OR or CA, but a couple of books that come to mind for WA state are "Best Loop Hikes Washington", and "Trekking Washington". Both of these are Mountaineer books. You might be able to find these through your library system (don't forget "interlibrary loan"), or maybe a second-hand (or even first-hand) bookstore.

The Loop hikes book tends to have lower distance trips, the longest I recall in there was in the 40's of miles. The "trekking" book is better, but not all are loops — still, a number of them are, or at least "near loops" (i.e., not a long shuttle). This author defines "trekking" to be trips of 30-miles or more, and there are some nice looking options in it.

Of course I agree on the Wonderland trail being great, but it's something you have to plan ahead for and be ready with your permit application the day they open for that. There are other mountains you can walk all the way around, such as Adams, Glacier, St. Helens, probably others.

Bottom line is I would get a copy of the "Trekking" book if you're able to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools