Topic

Other Gorilla & Ohm Class packs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Other Gorilla & Ohm Class packs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

I'm trying to compile a list of packs for my bf to look at and choose from. But off the top of my head, the only two packs coming to mind are the ULA Ohm and the GG Gorilla (probably because these are the two I've been eyeballing for myself for months). I was hoping to be a little more fair-handed in the roundup though…

Are there other packs in the same class as these two packs that I should be including in the roundup?

Other packs in this "class" might look like:

Comfortably carry ~25lbs
    ~Volume: 3000 cu in (50L)
    ~Weight: < 24 oz
    Internal Frame
    Hipbelt
    Hydration sleeve (or an option for one)

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I think those are the two choices I would consider if I were to buy a pack with those specs today, but I would also consider frameless packs, if you plan on only carrying 25 lbs occasionally, 14-18lbs regularly. These might include Ron's MLD Exodus/Prophet, some of the other Gossamer Gear packs.

If frameless is not an option, I know the Osprey Exos 46 at ~30 oz is another popular option in this range.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

I've noticed a lot of people and resellers quoting incorrect weights for all 3 models of the new Osprey Exos packs. I believe that the preproduction packs weighed a little less and that Osprey put out numbers that were lower than what the actual production pack weights came out to. The actual weights published on Osprey's website for the Exos 46 are:

S – 2 lb 3 oz
    M – 2 lb 5 oz
    L – 2 lb 7 oz

So while I agree they look like a great internal frame pack, they aren't quite as light as the numbers that are being thrown around. The Exos 58 ranges between 2 lb 7 oz and 2 lb 10 oz. The reports i've seen of users actually weighing them indicate they seem to be close, within 1 oz of the published numbers.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

in size large (according to the digi scale at my office).

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I can report that the Exos 46 in medium was at the stated 37oz. And the removable lid is ~3.75 oz if you don't need it.

I think you've summed up the market for framed packs at 24oz. Six Moon Designs makes a couple that weigh 29 (Comet, on sale) and 30 (Starliite) with the optional stays.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

The Granite Gear Virga is rated for 20 lbs, but ratings can be subjective.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Granite Gear Vapor Trail @ 37 oz also fits the bill, although the weight is high. There has been some discussion as to the accuracy of the stated volume though (3600, sehirment being that the number is high), but no testing to confirm volume.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Six Moon Designs Comet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools