Topic

Platypus in the pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Platypus in the pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Shortly before striking out on the JMT I am considering using Aquamira tablets, Platypus bottles, and a Frontier Pro filter used in-line. I have always had concerns about storing a filled Platypus in my pack. Anybody have problems with leaks this way?

Steven Killion
    BPL Member

@blendedfrog

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Robert,

I have been using a Platypus Big Zip 2L with inline filter in my pack for the last 5 years with no problems. I put it between my pad and the rest of pack contents against my back.

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

I have 3 platypus 2L. 2 of them leaked. The leakage is not because of fractures after many times of use. Both of them leaked in the seam between the mouth and body.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I have had some issues with leakage at the screw threads when using push-pull tops, never with the simple caps.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I can be very rough on equipment and have kept both platy bladders and platy bottles in my pack with no resulting leakage.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Robert, I was one of the original torture testers of the platypus back around 95-96. Since then I have only had one bottle leak and that was in my hip pack used while running long distances. I wont put one in my pack because of murphy law but they are allot stronger than you think. I have one going on three years daily use and its still leak free. Hope this helps. Ali

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Last summer I hiked from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal in company with two guys using Platypus bladders in their packs. Both of them had new Platy's and both of them had problems with leaks and the resulting wet sleeping bags. They may have not used them correctly or the bladders may have been defective: I don't know. But, I decided then that I would continue to carry my water in 1 liter Schweppes bottles until Platy got the bugs out of their plumbing.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

Your water filteration system sounds good. I haven't had any problems with leakage from Platypus's, just that they don't seem to last for me. Im not sure if it's from being rolled up when empty or what. I have been recently considering the Evernew Water Bladders that Gossamer Gear has in their shop. Here's the stats on them…

Features
    Collapsible design allows you to roll bottle up for easy, compact storage
    Shock cord to keep bottle rolled up
    Antibacterial treatment
    Cap is attached to the neck for safe-keeping
    Body has a tapered mid-section making it easier to grasp when full
    Gusseted bottom keeps bottle upright for easier filling

Specifications
    Capacity:
    0.6 l. (20.3 fl. oz.)
    0.9 l. (30.4 fl. oz.)
    1.5 l. (50.7 fl. oz.)
    2.0 l. (67.6 fl. oz.)
    Weight:
    0.6 l.: 0.9 oz. (26 g.)
    0.9 l.: 1.0 oz. (29 g.)
    1.5 l.: 1.3 oz. (36 g.)
    2.0 l.: 1.5 oz. (42 g.)
    Size:
    0.6 l.: 5.9 x 9.5 in. (15 x 24 cm.)
    0.9 l.: 5.9 x 11 in. (15 x 28 cm.)
    1.5 l.: 6.7 x 13 in. (17 x 33 cm.)
    2.0 l.: 8.3 x 13 in. (21 x 33 cm.)
    Color:
    Clear
    Materials:
    Food-grade 3-layer nylon/low-odor polyethylene

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

No leaks with the Platy, just from another brand. I like having my water outside the pack for several reasons: I can get to it easily to refill it; I can see how much water that's left so I can better gauge my water stops; it allows more space inside my pack for better packing or if I choose to carry a bear canister.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have been using platypus bladders since ~1994 when they were Berkeley Light or something like that. I have had no leaks in the field except the original bigzip which was very hard to close correctly. The newer Bigzip SL with the quick release has a flawless record for me for more than a year.

One of my bladders (after 2-3 years of daily use) was full of micro-fractures which were started to discolor. I figured I didn't want things growing in my water bottle and switched to a new one. I was curious how tough the bladder was. No problem standing on it. First jump was ok. Third jump broke it on one of the cracks.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I have three of the original 2 and 3 liter Platypus bladders that I've used repeatedly for at least 15 years with no leaks (unless I didn't screw the cap on correctly. When my butt suddenly gets wet and cold while hiking, I don't have to ask what's happening).

Had one other 2 liter than finally developed a leak at the filler seal (after about 14 years). Gave it an honorable burial.

I always carry my bladders inside the pack. They are protected from sharp, pointy things and the water stays cold. I also use the Platy Hoser system so I don't have to pull the bladder out in order to drink. Just suck and swallow on the go. IMO, the closure design of the new Hoser system seals much easier and more securely than the original Hoser, and I have both systems.

I don't trust the push-pull caps. Call me paranoid……

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Thanks to all veteran Platy users for the advice, particularly Wandering Bob who I can now call Paranoid for short. Catchy trail name, Bob. I suspect most leaks are from people screwing on caps too hastily, but I think I will put the filled Platy in the mesh pocket on the upper right side of my Mariposa Plus. I have yet to get my sleeping bag wet after 40 years, and Guitar Lake doesn't sound like the place to start.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

If I put mine inside the pack I put it in a breadbag. This'll contain smaller leaks should they occur.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

The only time I've had them leak is when they are used with the stock sportcaps. They don't actually screw down to seal, and the action of pulling up and pushing down the sport cap is enough to loosen it. Spend the couple bucks and get the plain caps, you can feel them seal as they screw down.

I keep mine attached to the Hoser system (like a camelbak hose) stored upside down in a mesh pocket on the outside of a Golite Jam2, not in the hydration pocket. The Hoser cap also seals well.

Dave Weston

@wsuweston

Locale: NW

I have never had an issue with having a bladder leak. Also my gear is placed in a liner, so the bladder is seperated from the gear in case of the leak.

David Stapleton
    BPL Member

@kamperdave

Locale: VA, DC, MD

I had a 3 liter Platy leak all inside my pack while I was driving to the trailhead. Since then I've made the brilliant decision to keep the water outside my pack until I'm on the trail.

-Dave

Andrew Macbeth

@amacbeth

blendedfrog,
    what inline filter are you using?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I use a top-filled and top empty system. It's like a Platy, but the outlet is on the top (with a straw to suck out the contents) so their is little danger of leakage. IMHO, storing your water with the opeining facing down is just asking for disasters, though they should be minor disasters if you use a good pack liner. The only time I've had leaks is when something accidentally pushes against the bite valve. This is prevented by using a bite valve protector…

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I'm heading out on the JMT next weekend. I've got a 2L platy in my pack for emergencies, but I'm going to use a couple of 1L water bottles for normal use (dasani bottles seem to be a good shape and size). I'm probably going to bring an msr hyperflow filter, aquamira frontier pro, and katadyn micropur mp-1 tablets.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Roman,

Your Hyperflow filters down to .2microns, the Frontier Pro down to .3, and then the MP1 tablets acts as backup or layered purification? The system seems, since we're in a UL forum, to be redundant and, the dreaded, "heavy". Here's a good article on the topic of water purification. I really appreciated his "Hyperbole" subject, as I believe there's less to be worried about in these water sources, e.g. High Sierras, then we're led to fear.

http://www.equipped.com/watrfood.htm

Sorry to derail the original post. Personally, I've replaced my bladders before the stress marks get too pronounced. And I've never had them prematurely leak. I think it's only realistic to appreciate a certain longevity of the product, and then be conservative about replacing them before too long. If it's a real concern, just buy a new one before the trip.

cheers,
    -Michael

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the link! I'd really like to just use the Frontier Pro, but I plan to use packs of crystal light lemonade in my water. I'm thinking that would screw up the filters pretty fast! lol

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools