Topic

Fabric choice for wind shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric choice for wind shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Does anyone have recommendations for the fabric choice for making a UL windshirt? I want something that is very breathable. I have a jacket that I think is supplex with no DWR that I like but it weighs 11 oz; something a little more water resistant would be nice.

The available choices seem to be:
    Momentum 1 oz from Thru-hiker.com
    1.1 oz ripstop or taffeta with DWR (from many places). Is there a best source for the best DWR?
    1.9 oz nylon with DWR.
    Supplex 2.5 to 3.5 oz with DWR.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Can you get Pertex Microlight? I find that to be very breathable.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Thanks for the Pertex suggestion.
    I don't know where to get small quantities of pertex fabrics. The usual online fabric sellers in the US don't carry it. I've emailed Pertex to ask.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

It's not going to happen with Pertex. I'm not even sure it is a minimum order hurdle. I tried to source it in the past and they were asking questions like who my customer was and what was going to be made out of it.

That said, if you get anywhere, let me know!!!

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=710

Check that link out. Not sure if that is the actual stuff, but it is titled quantum ripstop, they also have a microlight ripstop. From what I have read Momentum is just as good if not better, but I have no experience with it. I have no experience with the stuff listed on that link either, but you may be able to email them and find out. With the price, I believe I would go with the Momentum though, but that is just me.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Thanks for the German link.
    It looks like it's possible to get Pertex from there.
    What they list as microlight is very light 32 g/qm=.94 oz/yd2
    International shipping is possible, but a bit of a pain
    (paypal if over 25 euro, otherwise bank transfer).
    Right now I'm leaning toward momentum or 1.1 oz ripstop.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Windshirts are often found cheap, why not just buy one? I bought a new Marmot Ion a few years ago for just over $30, and recently bought a like new Montane Areo for $40.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools