Topic

Gear List: JMT in July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List: JMT in July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Just thought I'd throw this up here for you guys to pick at and critique. Anything you don't see? Anything that I need or that I can do without? Any areas of improvement?

Weights aren't all updated. I've been traveling in New Zealand for six months and my scale is at home. Most items are self explanatory though.

Budget for improvements is extremely limited (6 months of travel and little work will do that).

Thanks fellas.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pivr1lAwkMltL8MB5iA-Uew

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Forgot to add, cooking items are subject to change / sharing. Going with another dude, we haven't sorted it all out yet.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Looks pretty good…

4.55 oz of tent stakes? thats a lot. Any lighter options?

6.45 oz Pillow? Remeber, this is a LIGHTWEIGHT camping web-site, and we are allowed to make fun of pillows. Unless ist;s a 1.1 oz pillow.

PLEASE test the fancy feast cat food can and the .9 liter pot. Thats a tny stove (more suited for cooking in a mug, solo) so if you are sharing gear, yo may need a more robust stove (test it all before going into the field).

The 3.55 oz headlamp is light, but not as light as some options.

2 liters of water? Why not less?

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Thanks Mike

Stakes – Will look into lighter options. I'm not 100% sure that 4.55oz is correct for 6 aluminum stakes.

Pillow – Open to ideas on substitutes. In the past have used rain jacket or platypus but not bringing a jacket and wasn't too comfy with the platypus. Have an "UL" pillow at 3oz or so but it's not very comfy either. We're are planning on 21 nights, so I think I'd like a little comfort. Any suggestions?

Stove – Yeah, used the cat can stovedozens of times on the .9L pot from sea level to 11000ft. Works fine. I think the conical windscreen helps a bit too. A bigger pot and more robust stove makes sense for two though.

Headlamp – Agreed.

Water – In the past I've always used a filter bottle and brought along one platty to fill. They're quite heavy so I was thinking of trying something different for this trip. One dirty bag, one clean bag, and haven't completed decided on a purifier yet. Do you not worry about having a dirty bag in the Sierra? I know the water is quite clean, but it is worth saving a 1.5oz over? (or w/e a 1L platty weighs)

Thanks a bunch for your reply

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Forget about pant leg repair. Just leave the leg sections at home. They will be in your pack most of the time and they are heavy. Plus, you have silk leggings….oohh….nice.

I met one hiker who did not like those Golite shoes at all. Said the mesh over the toe box tore easily.

Thermarest Prolite x-small sleeping pad only weighs 8 oz.! For the shorter mattresses, I sure like having a designated pillow rather than resting my head on the pad. Gives the pad extra length under your body. I also like carrying at least a 2L water container for extra water when at camp. Saves extra trips to the stream.
    Do not forget your camera. Might see a bear seated on your bear canister for a photo op.
    I am heading for the JMT in August with a similar list. I like those orikasi (sp?)bowls, too.
    Hopefully only you will read this, but for a luxury pillow: take a themarest stuff sack with soft fleece on one side and stuff a thermarest stadium seat into it. Luxury pillow, but just do not put it on your scale before you pack it! Of course, it is a multi-use piece of gear and handy when you want to offer a lady a nice seat.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don't see a warm hat on the list? I wouldn't go to the Sierra without one. Something like the SmartWool light balaclava.

What are your thoughts about which clothing would stay safely in the pack to stay dry if you get a serious storm, or would you be willing to wear any of it and take the risk of getting it all wet? I carry more warmth/water-proofs than the clothing on your list for a summer high Sierra trip.

Big long-duration storms are unusual, but they do occur – you need to decide whether you want to be prepared for that or take your chances. I'm old and conservative, and I've encountered a couple of severe >24 hour Sierra storms, and I personally don't cut that corner.

You know what your tolerance for being cool is, and whether you plan to limit your campsites to low altitude. I prefer to avoid the bears and camp as high as possible, usually 10K to 11.5K';, which means night temps in the 30s. I wouldn't happily sit through dinner in silk long-johns and no hat :) IceBreaker wool-150 long johhns are significantly warmer than silk and not too much heavier.

Also, July mosquitoes can be bad, so be prepared for that.

Have a terrific trip. Amy

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Thanks for the reply Frank.

I was thinking the only real reason I'd need convertible pants is for evening/morning mosquitoes. I was under the impression that they would bite through silk. I know they'll gladly bite through most LW baselayers. Any experience with this? I'm bringing deet, but I'd like to not completely shower myself in it.

Not 100% on the Sundragon II's yet. I haven't even tried them on as they're bake in the states. Going to attempt to break em in the week before we set off, we'll see how that goes. I have a pair of hardrocks ready to go if I'm not feeling the Golitess.

I think I'm set sleeping pad wise. That'll only save me last than 2oz and it'll cost quite a bit to upgrade as my z-lite has little resale value.

Thanks again yo

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Amy,

Good catch on the hat. I have a wool/polartec beanie that I plan on bringing. It's not the lightest, but I don't think I absolutely need a lighter one.

I also forgot to include a pair of dirty girl gaiters on the list.

Not really too worried about getting wet, at least not enough to pack a jacket and rain pants in addition to the poncho. If a big storm stirs up I'll just have to deal with it!

I have been looking for a deal on the merino long johns (they're quite a bit cheaper here in NZ). I'll be in the city next week to check out a couple Icebreaker factory/discount stores.

Thanks for the reply Amy!

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Any additional comments / criticisms?

Biggest change has been the decision to remove the FF down jacket and bring a midweight merino ziptop (instead of cap 3, not weighed/added yet). I think I will be plenty warm enough in that with the wind shirt if it drops below freezing. Whaddaya reckon?

BTW how the heck do you convert the oz to lbs and include decimals? Can't figure it out!

Bear can not included in weight. Anyone know what the rentals in the valley weigh?

Thanks a bunch guys for any input

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools