Topic

patagonia Ready Mix jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) patagonia Ready Mix jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anders Bentsen
    BPL Member

@andben

Locale: Oppdal

Have anybody used this jacket? How is the windproofness and breathability? I’m thinking to get this jacket and use it primarily in winter with temperatures below freezing. Any suggestions?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Hi Anders,
    Please see my post below – Patagonia Ready Mix versus Cloudveil Hooded Prospector –
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/2145/index.html

I have the Patagonia Stretch Krushell, the prior name of the Ready Mix Jacket. It is a fantastic winter shell, breathable and quite water resistant. The Ready Mix I believe offers more water resistance now because the seams are glued or bonded rather than sewn. The only thing that changed from Krushell to Ready Mix is the sizing – the Stretch Krushell was cut so big I took a medium, though I’m 6 ft 180 lbs. In the Ready Mix, I’m a large or XL.

Anders Bentsen
    BPL Member

@andben

Thanks for the comments. I will consider the jacket. Maybe it’s better than the Dimension jacket I use now.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Anders, I don’t own the Dimension jacket, but have inspected it and tried it on (and even stood outside the store on a cold windy day) with it on. The main difference is that the Dimension is a heavier jacket with a more durable material and a little insulation. The Ready Mix is a lighter more compact shell with no insulation. Both stretch. I like the Stretch Krushell/Ready Mix because it’s very light – 15 oz – light enough to bring a lightweight full waterproof jacket with me as well if I like. I layer it over anything from a light merino baselayer to a merino baselayer + fleece or synthetic high loft insulation. The Dimension is more of a climbing/ice climbing jacket with greater abrasion resistance.

Anders Bentsen
    BPL Member

@andben

I agree that the Dimension jacket has some insulation. Thats why I want the Ready Mix. Like it when the fabric is windproof- the Dimension could have been a bit more windproof.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

I think the Ready Mix may be more windproof than the Dimension because of a tighter weave, but check to be sure.

Anders Bentsen
    BPL Member

@andben

I sent an email to patagonia and the reply was that they were similar in appearance.But what I remember of the Krushell is that the weave is more tight as you wrote. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I wonder how breathable the ready mix really is. I’ve read several reviews about the Figure 4, which I believe is entirely made out of the fabric used in the Ready Mix for reinforcements, and one of the surprising facts in those reviews was the disapponting breathability of the shell. I wonder if this is also true for the Ready Mix.
    Anyone an idea on how these polyester shells would compare with the new polyester based Arc’teryx Epsilon shells ?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I wonder how breathable the ready mix really is. I’ve read several reviews about the Figure 4, which I believe is entirely made out of the fabric used in the Ready Mix for reinforcements, and one of the surprising facts in those reviews was the disapponting breathability of the shell. I wonder if this is also true for the Ready Mix.
    Anyone an idea on how these polyester shells would compare with the new polyester based Arc’teryx Epsilon shells ?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

I spoke with 2 Patagonia reps about the Stretch Krushell and the Ready Mix. They are pretty much identical except for the cut (the Krushell was cut larger) and the fact that the Ready Mix has glued or lasered seams, which are more waterproof or water resistant than stitched seams. If the Figure 4 is made from the reinforcement material in the Krushell/Ready Mix, than it is definitely less breathable than the Krushell/Ready Mix. The reinforcement material is definitely less breathable and more water resistant.

I would be very curious to hear about the Arcteryx poly jackets as I use a shell like this most of mid fall through winter to mid spring and am always looking to improve. The Krushell/Ready Mix is the best I’ve found to date, though I haven’t tried the Arcteryx Alpha Comp Hoody.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

I spoke with 2 Patagonia reps about the Stretch Krushell and the Ready Mix. They are pretty much identical except for the cut (the Krushell was cut larger) and the fact that the Ready Mix has glued or lasered seams, which are more waterproof or water resistant than stitched seams. If the Figure 4 is made from the reinforcement material in the Krushell/Ready Mix, than it is definitely less breathable than the Krushell/Ready Mix. The reinforcement material is definitely less breathable and more water resistant.

I would be very curious to hear about the Arcteryx poly jackets as I use a shell like this most of mid fall through winter to mid spring and am always looking to improve. The Krushell/Ready Mix is the best I’ve found to date, though I haven’t tried the Arcteryx Alpha Comp Hoody.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The figure 4 and the ready mix are using the same material. Primary difference is a slightly differ cut and the ready mix has a hood. It has been reported by patagonia folks that the stretch krushell and the ready mix are basically the same material. It seemed to me that the ready mix has more calendaring on the inside than a remember seeing in the stretch krushell. My memory may be failing though.

–mark

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

I sent the jacket back to Patagonia because I could not figure out how to stow the hood without it still bothering me by constantly hitting the back of my neck (it is pretty stiff). Went to my local Patagonia dealer but they could not do a better job either. Otherwise the jacket seemed just fine.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Mark,
    Actually, the Patagonia Ready Mix and Figure 4 do not use the same material. As I believe someone mentioned earlier, the Figure 4 is made entirely of the reinforcement material on the Ready Mix shoulders and top of arms and other high abrasion areas – 5.5-oz. doubleweave stretch-woven polyester with a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish.

The body of the Ready Mix is 3.5-oz. doubleweave stretch-woven polyester with a Deluge® DWR (durable water repellent) finish, which is definitely more breathable than the thicker reinforcement 5.5 oz. reinforcement material (which also seems tighter woven) which is used all over the Figure 4.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for the clarification. A sales person told me they were the same thing, but I can easily believe they were wrong. Now I know why the figure 4 seemed heavier than the ready mix when I tried it on. It was heavier.

–Mark

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Anyway, from all I checked out from this forum and from checking out the material, I’m quite convinced the Ready Mix is a better all-around 3 season light cold weather softshell than the other shells above. It seems to have the best balance of breathability, wind resistance, water resistance, durability and functional cut. I use my Stretch Krushell (the old name for the Ready Mix) almost every day in late fall, winter and spring – the only things I could have improved were sealing the seams for a little better water resistance in the shoulders and neck (it’s already quite good, but with sealed seams, would be even better) and perhaps a closable mesh back vent to aid breathability a little (as you would see on some biking and cross country ski jackets) when I’m really getting an aerobic workout. I was looking for a shell that would maintain the same good breathability and other features of the Krushell with a little better water resistance and I think the Ready Mix is the best choice (I may consider cutting a small mesh back vent with velcro into it – that would make it about perfect). Thanks for all of your input, it was very helpful.

John Recktenwald

@johnrecktenwald

Locale: Alaska

I have a Ready Mix in XL that comes in at 16 ounces. I have used it in high winds down to 0 to 10 farenheit and Ice climbing in wet snow and lite rain and I like a lot it so far. Seems breathable, wind proof and moves well. Tough for it’s weight, due to it’s flexibility I suppose. Hood could be improved but this will be my main winter shell. Much better than a hardshell but haven’t experienced very wet conditions.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

John,
    It’s my favorite winter softshell as well. I’ve been in moderate to heavy rains with it and with a DWR in shape will give you about an hour before it’s wetting out with seams that are sealed, as they are on the Ready Mix. Can you comment on the cut of the Ready Mix? I have the Stretch Krusehll, the same jacket as the Ready Mix essentially before the name was changed, but it was cut very large. I know from Patagonia the Ready Mix is cut much smaller. I’m 6 ft 180 lbs and I wear a Medium Stretch Krushell. But I’ve been told by Patagonia that the Medium Krushell is equivalent to a Large or XL Ready Mix. What size are you and how does the XL fit you – snug with some room to layer or very roomy? Thanks, I’m asking because I’ve had wonderful experience with the Stretch Krushell and thinking of picking up the Ready Mix in a bright winter safety color, like Orange.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

fyi The Patagonia Ready Mix is on sale at Patagonia for one more day through Feb 27 for $119. Again, an excellent winter shell, haven’t found a better lighter one yet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools