Topic

Lightweight expedition pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight expedition pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Targan
    BPL Member

@jerimoth

Locale: New England

I’m a park ranger so I carry a big amd heavy pack- med kit, oxygen tank, IV fluids, etc. For several years I’ve used a heavy pack- the Osprey 110 – so was wondering if anybody makes a lightweight pack that can handle large volume and weights over 45 pounds.

Anatoly IVANOV

@aivanov

Locale: Paris, FRANCE / Geneva, SWITZERLAND

How about the Granite Gear Stratus Latitude? I use it to carry photography gear, including tripod, combined with winter and climbing gear. Very comfortable and somewhat lightweight.

ANATOLY IVANOV PHOTOGRAPHY / DESIGN

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

McHales makes some 6000 cube packs in the UnLtd S-Sarc series that are under 4 lbs. They were tested on Denali last Spring.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Although I have no hands-on experience, the 60L Worksack from Cilogear has gotten very positive reviews in a few places (here, for example). It is expandable to around 90 L (approx. 5500 cubes) and can support very heavy loads (up to 70 pounds according to one reviewer) with a weight of 3 pounds 3 ounces. It can also be made considerably smaller (approx. 25 L) and lighter (a little over a pound) by removing the options and using all the compression straps (other configurations being possible as well), so it could be very multi-use. The materials used are strong, especially for the weight, so it could probably hold up to the daily use required for your job much better than most “light” packs. Last but not least, it is attractively priced ($185). Hope that helps, and good luck finding something that works for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools