Topic

TT Sublite awning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Sublite awning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Well I am 54 today , so to prove that I am not any wiser than yesterday , here is my added awning idea for the Sublite.
    The challenge was to do it without modifying the shelter, using only two trekking poles (IE no extra pole…) and a minimal amount of additional pegs.
    For the moment , this is it :
    2 extra pegs required, so a total of 6, and a tarp with 6 guylines attached (second pic). A lot easier to do without the extra cover on my right but that would help in some (mildly…) wind driven rain.
    Note that the tarp was custom made for the job. ( actually it is a cheap groundcloth folded in half…)
    Franco
    Sublite awning 1
    Sublite awning 2

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Happy Birthday!!

So…why does the tent need an awning?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't know……….I think the awnings on the DR are pretty cool.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Nick
    There is an old joke about males and mammary glands, apparently the reason we have them is "just in case"
    Franco
    Thanks BTW, I would be happier if I was getting younger, but that option will not be available for a while.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Happy Birthday Franco

Tony

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

> BTW, I would be happier if I was getting younger, but that option will not be available for a while.

Franco, it is just a state of mind. I will hit 60 next year, and it is no big deal. I can still do all the things I want to do.

A little story. A few years ago I was sitting with my son and the kids on his high school track team. We were discussing music, life, and generally BSing. One of the kids told my son, "Joe, your dad is the coolest parent I have ever met." In a serious voice, Joe replied, "You guys need to understand something. In our family, my dad is the kid and my sister and I are the adults." One of the best compliments I ever received.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Nick
    Yes, that is it. I have met many "young" octogenarians and some not so young 30 years old.
    Have fun !
    Franco

David Ure

@familyguy

I have never seen such a monstrosity on a perfectly good TT.

Happy b-day Franco and thanks (again) for the pics.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

If a Sublite user is set on having an awning I would think a small tarp such as the MLD "Dog Tarp" or an MSR "E-Wing" would work well. These small tarps provide a fair amount of coverage with a minimal weight penelty.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Fifty did seem pretty ancient at one time, didn't it?

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Happy birthday, Franco. Love the red shoes.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

The red shoes are for his Walkabouts in the bush. And if he ever gets lost, he can just close his eyes, tap his heels together three times, and repeat "There's no place like home" over and over.

Of course, he might wind up in Kansas that way……….

Happy Hatch Day, Franco. Just don't let Henry see what you did with his tent or he'll never let you have another.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools