Topic

Colorado trip suggestion’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Colorado trip suggestion’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Where would you go for a trip in early August that is within two hours drive of Frisco, Colorado, if your wish list included:

* 3-4 days of moderately-paced hiking and climbing with decent portion above treeline. Possibly including hike-able 14er's. Emphasis on tundra/peaks/views/wildflowers.

* Good fly fishing at some point.

* far enough from normally crowded areas as to feel somewhat isolated/alone. We'll be going during the week to help reduce crowds.

I've done a number of hikes in Summit County and also a few 14er's. This will be my first time trying to include fly fishing in a trip like this.

Thanks!

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Possibly the Maroon Bells. People, but spectacular scenery.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

I'll add it to my list. I realize anything involving 14er's and not involving much scrambling or any true climbing will certainly have crowds in the summer.

Before deciding to hit higher ground, I was thinking Indian Peaks Wilderness would be a nice mix of views, fishing, and peaks. But, I'm under the impression it is very crowded in August.

I also been thinking of Missouri Basin, with summits of Missouri, Oxford, and Belford peaks. Pine creek and a couple of small lakes up there are fishing possibilities.

Are Maroon Bell's and the Missouri Basin similar in traffic?

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

Have you thought about the Gore Range? It's right in Frisco's backyard and offers a degree of relative solitude depending on where you go.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Thanks for the suggestion. Fourteeners have gone from optional, to required, so the Gore range is out. Maroon Bells is also now out as there will be an inexperienced climber with us.

Looks like Sawatch Range, with following draft itinerary:

day 1 – hike up to Lake Clohesy/Bear Lake area of Collegiate Range. Camp, fish lakes and stream.

day 2 – hike to summit of Mt. Columbia, then to summit of Mt. Harvard, then down Mt. Harvard to Bedrock Falls area. Camp just below Bedrock Falls.

day 3 – stay around Bedrock Falls and high alpine lake nearby. Fish stream and lake.

day 4 – hike to summit's of Mt. Oxford, Mt. Belford, and Missouri Mtn. Find camp spot in Lake Fork area.

day 5 – fish nearby lake/stream in morning and hike out to car.

Kathryn Eriksson

@keriksson3

Hi!
    I have a question. I'm suppose to be taking a group of highschool kids to Maroon Bells from June 22-25. I had been planning on the four pass loop, but I'm not sure about all the snow and the recent weather. Have you heard anything about snow on the passes or if anyone has made it over the passes yet?
    We can always set up a basecamp and do some day hikes…
    Thanks for your help.
    Katie

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Katie:

Call the ranger station in Aspen.

(970) 925-3445

I'm guessing there will be too much snow up there at the time of your trip. I was hoping to do the loop over 4th of July weekend but I don't think the conditions are going to allow for it.

kyle davis

@fta

Locale: mn, co

i was up in aspen a couple of weeks ago and the bells dont have very much snow on them at all so not sure about the passes but from what i could see you should be fine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools