Topic

Beginners Gear/Food List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Beginners Gear/Food List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Locale: Guernsey

Clothes:

2 Icebreaker Merino Wool 150 Base
    2 Ice breaker T Shirt
    1 Poor Quality Fleece
    1 Montane Featherlight Jacket
    1 Buf Bandana
    1 Montane Terra Cutt off Pants
    4 Pairs socks – Smartwool/Icebreaker/Teko
    1 Pair Icebreaker Merino Wool Pants (need to get some more)
    Backpack – Berghaus heavy old thing (not going to bother replacing at this stage)

Camp Equipment

Scarp 1 Tent
    Mountain Hardware Lumina 45
    Thermarest Neoair

Kitchen Equipment

Bushbuddy
    Firelite 1100 Pot
    Firelight Firestarter
    Flexair Ultralight pillow
    SUL Shorthandlded Titanium Spoon
    Platypus 2L Bottle

Navigation:

Silva 7 Compass

Hygiene:

First Aid Kit
    Hand Sanitiser
    Antibiotics
    Toothbrush & Paste

Misc:

Whistle
    Princetec Apex Lamp
    Thermarest Reapir Kit
    Knife
    Panasonic LX3

Things I know I haven't got, that I need recommendations for:

Stuff/Dry Bags

Am I missing anything? Do I need more clothes?

I will be trekking in the Turkish Kackar Mountains – still waiting for my guidebook by I beieve it does sometimes rain…

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

In particular, I need some food recommendations. I'll be gone for 3 weeks – but I will eat with locals some of that time. I will probably take 2 weeks worth of evening meals just to be safe.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We took some GoLite Whims to France, not just as (almost) rain pants, but also as something to wear in the evenings in hotels (a few times) when our ordinary walking trousers were muddy and smelly, and also as something to wear when we took all the rest of out clothing to the laundromat!

Me, I wouldn't take much food. Weighs a ton, and the locals MUST eat something. Probably quite well, and you WILL be able to afford to buy.

But I would look at having something like a thin flat bit of plastic (1.5 mm polyethylene) to serve as a general cutting board and food preparation plate. I will bet on some sort of bread being available – we ate LOTs, with jam and cheese. That means you should also be carrying some sort of knife which can cut bread and cheese and sausage. A plastic airline knife is all very well, but we do carry one good metal knife as well.

And a GSI plastic cup will turn out to be valuable too. Turkish coffee … :-)

Cheers

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Thanks Roger.

I just realised there is a gear lists forum – can a moderator shift this across please?

Thanks

Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools