Topic

Ideas for a 50 Miler in northern California?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Ideas for a 50 Miler in northern California?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm doing some research for our venture patrol on possible routes for a 50 miler in mid-August. I expect that the wilderness permits are full from Whitney all the way up to Yosemite, so I've been looking elsewhere.

So far, I've got three possibilities, a loop around the Emigrant Wilderness, a segment of the PCT from Echo Summit to Soda Springs (along the Tahoe rim), or something in the Trinity Alps.

We have a crew on the young side, 13-15, but in great shape and worked well together on Skyline to the Sea. It will be the first long backpack for any of the Scouts, though one has been on a 9-day canoe trip at Northern Tier.

Wide open to suggestions. We are in Palo Alto, near San Jose.

Bob Summers

@sm498

I have a couple of ideas.

Do you want to go where everyone else goes or do you want to avoid other people? I'm in the avoid other people category but some of my ASMs like the cachet of places like Shasta & Whitney. How tough are you and your Scouts? :-)

My troop did a 40 miler over the Memorial Day Weekend at Henry Coe. It was planned as a tough hike because I need to make sure my troop is in shape for Philmont. Henry Coe would be harder in August than it is on Memorial Day.

The itinerary was Hunting Hollow to Wilson Peak Friday Night. (4.3 miles)

Wilson Peak, Pacheco Falls, and Pacheco Camp to Mississippi Lake (16.2 miles) on Saturday. Pacheco Camp is a nice place to camp if you'd like a more relaxed trip. The side trip to Pacheco Falls (now dry) is a little less than 1,000 feet of elevation in a little less than a mile each way.

Mississippi Lake to Jack Rabbit Lake via the Hartman Trail (steep downhill even by Coe standards), then to the Orestimba Corral on Sunday. (13.4 miles )

Monday was Orestimba Corral to Dowdy Ranch. (6.1 miles)

My guys had a blast. We all slept well and it was great to see how jazzed they were on Tuesday at the troop meeting.

You could easily extend the trip north from Mississippi Lake to get a few more miles.

If you've been to Henry Coe, you know that it's tough terrain. In August, it will be hot and dry, so you'd need to practice good water management.

Last year I did a 100+ miles walking from Lassen Park to Susanville.

That itinerary started at Helen Lake, then to Bumpass Hell and Kings Creek. We picked up the PCT for a while where we forded Kings Creek. Then north to Cindercone, the Fantastic Lava Beds, the Painted Sand Dunes, and the Butte Lake Campground. Climbing Cindercone is a challenge – imagine a 2,000 foot tall pile of beach sand – but you get a great view of the Painted Sand Dunes.

From Butte Lake we hiked through to the Caribou Wilderness to Triangle Lake and the Silver Lake Campground. From there we hiked to Westwood for Pizza, then took the (~30 mile) Biz Johnston Trail to Susanville.

With a rest day at Silver Lake, it took us 8 days IIRC.

I can provide GPS tracks for those trips.

I'm thinking of something for summer of 2010. One possibility is to start at Warner Camp in Mt Lassen Park and head north along the PCT to Burney falls and beyond.

YIS
    Bob S
    Patrol Leader of the Steam Engine Patrol (Huff, puff, huff, puff)

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Walter: I would NOT do Henry Coe in August. It will be dry and blazing hot.

Your ideas are all good ones. PCT from Echo summit through Desolation up to Barker Pass or all the way to Tahoe City would be great.

Emigrant has some good loops and is easy to get free permits and is probably perfect challenge-wise for that age group. Last year I did a 40 mile loop out of Crabtree up to Deer Lake then to Emigrant Lake, over Mosquito Pass and down to Sheep Camp and then back up to Chewing Gum Lake by way of Upper Relief Meadow (did I get that name right?). Anyway, there are lots of possibilities in Emigrant and it is perfect in August. Emigrant has a high ratio of beautiful lakes for the work required to reach them.

I would also consider the Eastern Sierra out of Bridgeport or even Mammoth or Bishop. More of a drive, but the terrain is outstanding and permits are obtainable since you are in National Forest land and not National Park land.

Another place I highly recommend is Sequoia or Kings Canyon. Much easier to get permits than Yosemite and just as beautiful IMHO. There are many 50 mile loops to be done there. Some out of Lodgepole, Crescent Meadow or Mineral King, and Road's End in KK.

I haven't hiked the Trinity Alps yet (on my list) but have heard great things, so also worth looking into.

Overall, Emigrant would be easiest to set up and get to and everyone would love it. Sequoia/Kings Canyon would be my second choice, and is probably more beautiful but more of a drive too. Eastern Sierra is probably my favorite place, but even harder to get to from where you live.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Our Scouts decided in favor of less people over famous territory. That ruled out the PCT, since it is pretty heavily traveled.

We are headed for the area between the Emigrant Wilderness and the Hoover Wilderness. Enter at Leavitt Meadows and head south towards Dorothy Lake, then either over to Emigrant Lake or east to Peeler Lake, maybe Tilden Canyon or Slide Canyon.

Tomorrow we're hiking up Mt. Diablo with full packs, though not a full load of food.

Hiking at Henry Coe is hard enough when you can find water. In the summer, it would be nasty.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Walter, I hope you and the Scouts have a grand adventure. Entering via Leavitt you start in open sage, typical of the high desert of the eastern slope, then head up through several zones until reaching alpine as you work south.

The only downside (other than the interminable drive) is the commercial pack station, which keeps the trail wide, beaten up and well fertilized (like every other Emigrant trailhead). Still, Leavitt seems much less popular than, say, the Kennedy, Crabtree or Gianelli trailheads.

A shuttle, ending in Yosemite could be a spectacular route.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Still alot of snow in the higher alitudes.

Have fun at Diablo, it is supposed to get REAL hot tomorrow

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Like Ken said it will be VERY HOT at Mt. Diablo–I would suggest starting out at Castle Rock TH-because that trail is covered in nice tree canopy the entire way. It is supposedly going to be 103 degrees here in the East Bay….Have plenty of water on hand and have great time. (Castle Rock has water fountains, bathrooms and a public pool for a swim afterwards).

-Jay

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Yep, 100+ degrees at Diablo tomorrow. Thanks for the route suggestion.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

I'm hiling with my son from Meiss Lake TH and coming out the Eagle Falls TH. I will be spending one night in Desolation Wilderness. Do I need a permite?

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Call the ranger station and ask.

Desolation has an unusually complicated permit and quota system, using zones instead of trailhead quotas. The quota season is over now (runs Memorial Day through Sep. 30), but permits may still be required. Check this page: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ltbmu/recreation/wilderness/desowild/permits.shtml

Call the rangers anyway. With the early storms we've had, you need to check trail conditions. There could be trees down, washouts, anything.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Thanks I understand the permit program I just didn't want to go through Placerville. I'm wondering how section hikers handle this?
    I will call the ranger station.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Sean,

Yes, you'll need an overnight permit for your night in Desolation, and there's a per-night fee. You may be able to get one from a Forest Service office other than Tahoe or Eldorado–I'd call whatever office is nearest your intended trailhead and inquire.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. I was up in Desolation two weekends ago, after the big storm, and there was very little snow left.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

We've been getting a little snow and the temps have dropped about 20 degrees both day and night for the last few days (highs 30-40, lows 10-20) . It's supposed to warm up a tiny bit for this coming weekend, but you will most likely encounter some snow. Should be beautiful.

I'm thinking of backpacking up there either tonight or tomorrow night, if I do I'll post conditions here.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Thanks Rick and MDT
    I guess we will have to go up 50 instead of 88. My son thinks fishing up in Little Yosemite Valley in Yosemite is a better idea.
    ~Sean

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Talked to the ranger at Pacific House ranger station. I do need a permit, witch I payed for and can pick up after hours in a lock boxs at the staton. She also said I will need a snow park pass to park overnight at the meiss lake trail head. This should be a great weekend for a 30 miler!
    ~Sean

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools