Topic

Heat sealing very thin polythene

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heat sealing very thin polythene

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I need to do some 8' long seams on painters dust sheet. Any advice on technique and equipment welcome.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Cheap way – careful use of hot knife (quickly, do not linger at a spot) will work if you have a hot knife.

Spinnaker or kite double sided tape will also work but is much more expensive. Less fancy double sided tape would probably also work.

You could try a sewing machine if the plastic is not too flimsy. I tried this recently with polychro and was very pleased with result on test material

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I recall seeing a battery-powered bag sealer in my local 99p Store. It had a heated element, and you ran the bag through this element. It's quite a common technique; the element is usually a wire over what appears to be a woven glass fibre strip, with a mating strip above.

I'd look in kitchenware departments…

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I'm going with double sided tape, after a messy excursion with the silicone gun. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

For future reference, perhaps:

Portable Heat Sealer, £1.82

Can't vouch for its efficacy, mind…

Google did the job.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Thanks Kevin, trying to use it to do 22' of airtight sealing might be a tad frustrating I feel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools